Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your opinion: does music need words?
There are a lot of phrases saying that music is something like talk soul-to-soul... And the question is what role play lyrics in song... What is the most important: music or words?
although I put more priority on words, they are inseperable for the overall experience

Depends upon the music...................in some songs music is enough ...............in others the words are so important.........
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
So, [B]Music Head,[/B] you mean that they both are equal...
But, you know sometimes listening to a song I find that words are too rude or smth else, but I like music itself...in other words I want to separate them=)

Yea, gryphon, I agree.. It depends upon) e.g. I can't imagine Bach's symphony with lyrics)))
Couldn't put it any better than Griff has above.

Good question, Ella.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
I'd have to say I enjoy lyrical content alot. At the same time, I like lyrical content that is just different from anything else.
Mark Knopfler once said that the guitar would speak the bits you could not say/write down. To underpin a particular phrase etc. On 'Brothers in Arms' the guitar complements the words perfectly. Can't imagine the two apart.
Jerome Wrote:Mark Knopfler once said that the guitar would speak the bits you could not say/write down. To underpin a particular phrase etc. On 'Brothers in Arms' the guitar complements the words perfectly. Can't imagine the two apart.

on the other side of the coin...his "going home" theme from Local Hero movie displays feeling and emotion without lyrics.
There's no opinion involved. Music does not require lyrics. It does need melody, rhythm, harmony.
One could draw the line I suppose. Remove the vox and listen to the track by itself. Yukk!
My opinion is: if the music becomes arbitrary (as it often does ) in order to support the opinions, ideas, political stance, etc. of the artist... then it should be called poetry and put away in a dank basement somewhere and forgotten about for hundreds of years.
Again I disagree

There are two sides to this debate and I feel both are valid. It just depends how you feel but there are good reasoned arguments to arrive at both points of view.

Could you enlighten us as to why poetry has to be "put away in a dank basement somewhere and forgotten about for hundreds of years."

Do we need to put Bob Dylan's poetry away for 100 years ??
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bleeding Hearts new music! Bleeding Hearts 1 909 29-12-2016, 08:13
Last Post: Jerome
  My words LittleDun 0 1,005 25-09-2016, 02:36
Last Post: LittleDun
  Just joined and looking for a mentor on songwriting and music producing. Sloaner 0 1,229 18-07-2016, 05:07
Last Post: Sloaner
  Neglecting my music polythenepam 4 1,925 23-09-2015, 11:40
Last Post: JJ24
  My song, I'd like to hear your opinion :) Roval 4 1,772 07-08-2015, 16:48
Last Post: Cali5
  Tired of short term Music Gig? iyrie936 3 1,286 28-05-2014, 17:21
Last Post: Music Head
  What's the best way to really get back into music. lewisrg99 12 5,652 09-10-2013, 23:54
Last Post: JamesRLogan
  My Music FrancisDale 4 2,347 28-05-2013, 23:35
Last Post: mdsujaan
  the origin of traffic music miltk 0 969 16-02-2013, 10:17
Last Post: miltk
  One man music production, need feedback! noiseflor 1 1,079 19-11-2012, 04:46
Last Post: Jerome