Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neglecting my music
Hey guys, it's my first time posting, hope someone can help. I'm 20. I've been writing, playing guitar and singing since I was 16. Started playing acoustic gigs with friends when I was 18 in university, mainly my own stuff.

I started my own band when I was 18 and it was an exciting time. We had gigs, I was writing loads and we got into the finals of a big original band competition. The band kind of died a year later, we all had obligations and conflicting schedules with work and study. Since then I haven't been writing a lot. A few songs here and there. I recorded one or two (I record at home and used to do a lot).

I play a lot of acoustic cover gigs and I've lost some confidence in my own material. I know a lot of it is down to the fact I don't have my band spurring me on but I was thinking of going solo for a little while. My younger sister was diagnosed with cancer (she is now recovering thankfully) and I got into my first serious relationship too. These are all factors that probably distracted me from my music.

Anyway my point is I just feel so guilty about neglecting my creative side this past year. I wish I had done more. I am moving to another country to study for 3 months so when I come back I really want to get back into my music, write and record.

Any advice? Has anyone been in a similar situation?
You're twenty - what are you waiting for? Get on with it.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
i read the original post prior to scrolling down to Jerome's response and he posted basically what I was going to post....

so that's two identical responses mate....go ahead and get on with it and stop procrastinating with it!
Welcome aboard the Great MD, polythenepam! One of my favourite Beatle songs! I wish it was longer though! Do you cover the Beatles? No doubt you do. Keep on rockin'!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Just start writing again and don't feel guilty about neglecting your creative side. Everyone of us sometimes hit that dry spell, don't worry about it. Just try again.
[SUP]"Live forever."[/SUP]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bleeding Hearts new music! Bleeding Hearts 1 908 29-12-2016, 08:13
Last Post: Jerome
  Just joined and looking for a mentor on songwriting and music producing. Sloaner 0 1,225 18-07-2016, 05:07
Last Post: Sloaner
  Tired of short term Music Gig? iyrie936 3 1,286 28-05-2014, 17:21
Last Post: Music Head
  Your opinion: does music need words? Ella 51 15,112 09-10-2013, 23:56
Last Post: JamesRLogan
  What's the best way to really get back into music. lewisrg99 12 5,651 09-10-2013, 23:54
Last Post: JamesRLogan
  My Music FrancisDale 4 2,345 28-05-2013, 23:35
Last Post: mdsujaan
  the origin of traffic music miltk 0 967 16-02-2013, 10:17
Last Post: miltk
  One man music production, need feedback! noiseflor 1 1,079 19-11-2012, 04:46
Last Post: Jerome
  Open source music emrebozak 1 1,166 22-03-2011, 18:32
Last Post: Tiggi