Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Songs People Should Hear
My opinion of course. Going to start posting some of my favs from the past here. Songs I loved when growing up. Mostly from the 60's as that was my decade. Going to try and stick to lesser known stuff, but who knows what I'll come up with. I will post info about them when available. Feel free to post your own favs

First up

The Capitols - Cool Jerk - 1966

YouTube - The Capitals - Cool Jerk - 1966 - 45 Rpm

from wikipedia

"Cool Jerk" is a popular song written by Donald Storball and originally performed by The Capitols. Released in 1966, it reached the number two position on the American R&B chart and number seven on the pop chart. The backing track for this song was actually recorded (secretly) by the Motown house band The Funk Brothers. The Go-Go's, Todd Rundgren, Human Sexual Response , The La De Da's and The Creation have covered the song. Todd Rundgren did his version in an odd time signature (7/4), giving an obviously jerky feel to the song. The Go-Go's covered the song for their 1982 album Vacation, and later re-recorded it for their 1990 album Greatest. The song is remembered as the song that the character Uncle Frank (Gerry Bamman) sang in the shower in the movie Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. A version of the song with different lyrics ("Do the Cool Whip") is used in Cool Whip commercials. A recording by Ricardo Ray featured in the film Donnie Brasco (1997).

Dead Can Dance - Enigma of the Abolute from Spleen and Ideal [4AD Records, 1986]

Spleen and Ideal is the second album recorded by Dead Can Dance, released in 1986. A rather ethereal form of gothic music, similar to the origins of its debut album, Dead Can Dance, and followed a more world music- and neoclassical-oriented content, with lyrics based on the writings of Charles Baudelaire and Thomas de Quincey. It is considered the group's best album from a lyrical standpoint.

YouTube - Dead can dance - enigma of the absolute -

Absolutely ingenius piece of art with Brendan Perry in full cry.

"Perry's vocal efforts are no less compelling, his own high point occurring with the vast-sounding "Enigma of the Absolute," as a steady, massive drum pound echoes behind a similarly treated guitar/harpsichord combination, tinged with a striking string arrangement." - allmusic
^^

Pretty good. Reminds me of the Doors.

Hadn't heard them

Thanks

Take It And Leave It - ANdy & mE

Can be found here:
ANdy & mE on PureVolume.com

Scroll down in the player.
^^

I gave it a 2 on my normal 1-3 scale

thanks for sharing

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John - 1961

YouTube - Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John (1961)

from wikipedia

"Big Bad John" is a country song originally performed by Jimmy Dean and composed by Dean and Roy Acuff. Released in September 1961, by the beginning of November it went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and won Dean the 1962 Grammy Award for Best Country & Western Recording. The song and its sequel tell a story typical of American folklore, reminiscent of Paul Bunyan or John Henry. Big Bad John was also the title of a 1990 television movie starring Dean.

The song tells the story of a mysterious and quiet miner who earned the nickname Big John because of his height, weight and muscular physique ("He stood six foot six and weighed two forty-five"). He supposedly came from New Orleans, where he killed a man over a Cajun woman. One day, a support timber cracked at the mine where John worked. The situation looked hopeless until John "grabbed a saggin' timber, gave out with a groan / and like a giant oak tree just stood there alone", then "gave a mighty shove", opening a passage and allowing the other miners to escape the mine. John, however, didn't make it outside, meeting his demise in the depths of the mine. The mine itself was never reopened, but a marble stand was placed in front of it, with the words "At the bottom of this mine lies one hell of a man - Big John" written on it. (Some versions of the song change the last line to "lies a big, big man" to replace what was at the time considered to be borderline profane language.)

Its 1962 sequel, "The Cajun Queen", describes the arrival of "Queenie", Big John's Cajun Queen, who rescues John from the mine and marries him. Eventually, they have "one hundred and ten grandchildren". The sequel's events are more exaggerated than the first, extending the story into the realm of tall tales. In June 1962, the story continued (and evidently concludes) with the arrival of "Little Bitty Big John", (the flip side to "Steel Men" on Columbia 4-42483), learning about his Father's act of heroism.

"Big Bad John" was at number one on the pop chart for five weeks, on the country chart for two, and on the adult contemporary music chart for ten in the U.S. It was also a number-two hit in the United Kingdom. The song was nominated for the Grammy Award for Record of the Year and Best Male Solo Vocal Performance.

Dean's LP Big Bad John and Other Fabulous Songs and Tales, where the song first appeared, reached number twenty-three in the pop charts. The song was the B-side of "I Won't Go Huntin' with You Jake", but ended up becoming much more popular than the latter.

Columbia Records was considering dropping Dean before the release of this million-selling single, as he hadn't had a hit in years. Dean wrote the song on a flight from New York to Nashville because he realized he needed a fourth song for his recording session. There are varying accounts as to who was the inspiration for the character of Big John. The fact is an actor he met in a summer stock play, John Minto (Born in San Francisco) who was 6'5" was the inspiration for the song. Country pianist Floyd Cramer, who was hired to play piano on the song, came up with the idea to use a hammer and a piece of steel instead. This became a distinctive characteristic of the recording.

There are several known recordings of the song by Dean. Notably, there are two different versions of the inscription on the marble stand in front of the mine. The original, "At the bottom of this mine lies one hell of a man - Big John", was deemed too controversial, so in the version that was most often heard on the radio, one could hear "At the bottom of this mine lies a big, big man - Big John" instead. The refrain was also used to end the Jimmy Dean song "PT-109", referring to John F. Kennedy.

YouTube - the twist

from wikipedia

"The Twist" is a twelve bar blues song that gave birth to the Twist dance craze. The song was written and originally released in 1959 by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters as a B-side (to "Teardrops on Your Letter") but his version was only a moderate 1960 hit, peaking at 28 on the Billboard Hot 100.[1] The song, and the dance the Twist, was popularized in 1960 when the song was covered by Chubby Checker. His single became a smash hit, reaching number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on September 19, 1960 (one week), and then setting a record by being the only single to reach number one in two different chart runs when it resurfaced and topped the chart again on January 13, 1962 (two weeks).

In 1988, the song "The Twist" became popular once again, due to a new recording of the song by The Fat Boys featuring Chubby Checker. This version reached number two in the United Kingdom and number one in Germany.

Checker re-recorded the song numerous times. An updated 1982 recording (from his album The Change Has Come) was retitled "T-82", and in the 1990s, he recorded a country version. In the late 1970s, he recorded a new version that, except for the sound mix and some minor arrangement changes, was identical to the 1960 original; as a result this later version is often misidentified on compilations as the original recording. Checker also recorded variations on the theme, such as "Let's Twist Again (Like We Did Last Summer)" to keep the craze alive (although "Let's Twist Again" was and has remained more popular than "The Twist" itself in the United Kingdom).

Songs about doing the Twist went back to nineteenth-century minstrelsy, including "Grape Vine Twist" from around 1844. In 1938 Jelly Roll Morton, in "Winin' Boy Blues," sang, "Mama, mama, look at sis, she's out on the levee doing the double twist"--a reference to both sex and dancing in those days. As for this particular song, "The Twist," Hank Ballard's guitarist, Cal Green, said they picked up the general idea from Brother Joe Wallace of the gospel group The Sensational Nightingales, who of course couldn't record it himself. Green and Ballard already had written a song together called "Is Your Love For Real," which they'd taken from Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters' 1955 song "What'cha Gonna Do," so they simply put the new Twist words to the older melody--and voila! "The Twist" They originally recorded a loose version of the song in a Florida studio in early 1958, with slightly different lyrics, featuring Green on guitar playing like Jimmy Reed. However, they didn't get around to recording the released version until November 11, 1958, when the Midnighters were in Cincinnati. Ballard thought "The Twist" was the hit side, but King Records producer Henry Glover preferred the ballad "Teardrops on Your Letter," which he'd written himself.

According to Billboard Magazine, "The Twist" held the honor of being the number-one song on its "Hot 100 50th Anniversary" list of "The Billboard: All-Time Hot 100 Top Songs" in the first 50 years of the Hot 100 chart[2].

The song is ranked number 451 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The song is featured on the Spider-Man 3 soundtrack released May 1, 2007.

Jim Dawson wrote a 1995 book about the song and the Twist phenomenon called The Twist: The Story of the Song and Dance That Changed the World.

never grow old, it's my ringtone at present:wink:
YouTube - Duke of Earl- Gene Chandler

from wikipedia

"Duke of Earl" is a 1962 number-one song, originally by Gene Chandler. It is the best known of Chandler's songs, and he subsequently dubbed himself 'The Duke of Earl'.

"Duke of Earl" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on January 13, 1962, and held the number-one spot for three weeks. It was on the Hot 100 for a total of 15 weeks.

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders released a cover version in 1964. Another cover was recorded by the UK based doo-wop outfit Darts in 1979. It reached #6 in the UK Singles Chart.

Sha Na Na, a rock and roll revival band, performed Duke of Earl live at the Woodstock Festival of 1969.

The Beach Boys and Red Hot Chili Peppers have also played their version of the song whilst on tour. Cypress Hill sampled "Duke of Earl" into one of their own hit songs, "Hand on the Pump", on their 1991 self-titled album.

The song has also been sung by The Nylons, The Four Tops, New Edition, and the Van-Dells.

In 1983, Youth Brigade also covered "Duke of Earl" on their critically acclaimed debut album Sound & Fury.

I think I cannot post links yet but one song that comes to my mind is:

Yes - Close to the edge

18 minutes (yes, an eighteen minutes song) of pure beauty.

I love it!

I have to say that there is a piece of JS bach wich must be obligatory for everyone. The man is a genius:

J.S. Bach - Tocata et Fuge in D minor

Amazing piece. I recomend it played by the famous organist Otto Winter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Selling Singles/Songs 2019: CRAZY-HORSE 2 29 09-01-2020, 23:56
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Tribute songs: CRAZY-HORSE 13 327 05-11-2019, 12:01
  What are some STUDIO albums that you can truthfully say that you like all the songs o SteveO 191 13,948 14-10-2019, 09:17
Last Post: Jerome
  Those Songs Thay Just Love To Hate . David Broad 17 2,879 30-11-2018, 03:40
Last Post: SteveO
  Reversed songs and the scenes/emotion they convey Transcended Dimensions 10 1,240 13-11-2018, 07:03
  You hear music at ordinary times what pure? yanfeng 1 1,676 15-10-2018, 11:08
  the top50 Elvis Presley songs in the UK CRAZY-HORSE 0 344 17-08-2017, 02:35
  top 1000 songs of all time: CRAZY-HORSE 2 511 20-04-2017, 21:22
Last Post: SteveO
  Songs with a type of weather in their title SteveO 169 40,903 21-03-2017, 21:45
Last Post: Inna Selez
  Your top 5 Xmas songs bob_32_116 15 1,503 27-12-2016, 09:07
Last Post: GustavoWoltmann