Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another tragic loss … Greg Lake has died … R.I.P.
What a horrible shock!
Greg Lake has passed away – from cancer - he was 69.
How bloody awful this year has been.

Seems wrong to post “C’est la Vie” but I suppose that’s what it is …

Forever grateful for the sounds of ELP ... Rest In Peace

[video=youtube;kChY_NI4MKA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChY_NI4MKA[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Oh no - another of my favourites gone. I am especially fond of his folk/acoustic tracks from 'Works Volume 1'. RIP. Will be sorely missed indeed. And so close to Xmas as well. They are forever playing 'I Believe in Father Christmas' over the festive season here in Ireland.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
whew!
Ruby's back
I was getting concerned

R.I.P. Mr Lake

^Just giving everyone a little break :biggrin1:.

I've been listening to an excellent hour long radio tribute to Greg Lake on Teamrock.com, compiled and hosted by Prog magazine editor, Jerry Ewing. Well worth a listen for any fan IMHO … a great selection of songs … http://teamrock.com/radio/on-demand/team...2016-12-09
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
And this, boys and girls, is how you take what is essentially a folk song and turn it into a masterpiece. Not only one of the finest examples of Greg's lyrics but also a masterclass in mixing and orchestration. This was the album of the year in 1977 (I think) - as voted by Melody Maker. Probably the classiest production I have heard to date with regard to recording a band and orchestra together. https://youtu.be/YBfg8qtpptE
Rest peacefully Brother Greg ! Keith gone now Greg !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Jerome Wrote:Oh no - another of my favourites gone. I am especially fond of his folk/acoustic tracks from 'Works Volume 1'. RIP. Will be sorely missed indeed. And so close to Xmas as well. They are forever playing 'I Believe in Father Christmas' over the festive season here in Ireland.

it gets lots of airplay here also on the stations I listen to throughout December...
its a great Christmas tune IMO.
[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Jerome Wrote:And this, boys and girls, is how you take what is essentially a folk song and turn it into a masterpiece. Not only one of the finest examples of Greg's lyrics but also a masterclass in mixing and orchestration. This was the album of the year in 1977 (I think) - as voted by Melody Maker. Probably the classiest production I have heard to date with regard to recording a band and orchestra together. https://youtu.be/YBfg8qtpptE

I was never a fan of ELP as a group or as soloists, but I took the time and listened to the track J-Man, ive got to admit I did like it,
would take another listen or two to fully appreciate it so I will revisit it again tomorrow before it slips my mind and attention.
If you never grew up listening to ELP I have to admit they are pretty difficult to get into. Try the album 'Black Moon' which is far more accessible than their early stuff. One thing about ELP - probably the world's best rock keyboardist (only other contender for the same time period was Rick Wakeman), certainly one of the most innovative drummers - Carl Palmer blended orchestral percussion and rock drumming in a way no-one had ever done before, and a brilliant acoustic guitarist, bassist and lyricist in Greg Lake. A very unusual combination - they did more with three instruments that many bands did with thirty.

Works Volume 1 occupies a very special place in my musical education - when I first heard this album I realised there was a hell of a lot more to music than the normal 'I love you baby, can we get into the back seat now' mentality. It made me realise that music could exist on many different levels and still be fun all at the same time. The other album that was around at the time that did the same thing was Yes's 'Going for the One' - another masterpiece.

And of course Oxygene was starting to become a household name as well. A complete surprise to everyone.

And now we have to be content with Justin Bloody Bieber and Kanye the Clueless. God help us..........
Another fave - https://youtu.be/a4U_wjFcqS8

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why so many celebrities died in 2016: CRAZY-HORSE 18 1,912 09-02-2017, 00:39
Last Post: No good hobo
  final photo's of stars before they died: CRAZY-HORSE 34 4,560 18-06-2016, 08:51
Last Post: 360dopes
  Levon Helm dead - a great loss Jerome 2 859 28-04-2012, 03:17
Last Post: BrilliantDisguise
  Loss Of A Friend Music Head 4 908 20-10-2010, 18:16
Last Post: kerry101
  Bestfriends dad died.. I need a song to make her smile. frkvestby 3 1,001 28-07-2009, 17:12
Last Post: Paddis