Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eating Humble Pie
A little while ago I posted a comment where I said that I thought The Boss was past it. I am swallowing a rather large amount of humble pie today. A couple of friends went to see his concert in SA a few days ago. Just about everyone says that it was the best concert they had seen. All THREE hours of it. I stand corrected......
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
if you get a chanca Jerome...watch his "london calling" concert dvd from 2011...awesome stuff with the E-Street Band...
only one song on it i didnt like, the cover of the Clash's "london calling" that opened the show

when you made that comment the other day i actually thought you were refering to the new album and that his knack for writing was "past it", didnt actually think you were refering to all things Bruce.
Like many many artists, they are much better live!!!!....U2, Nickelback, Kathleen Edwards, KISS, Metallica, Supertramp, Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Alter Bridge, ACDC,Peter Gabriel etc. Santana, Green Day, etc. IMHO
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
At first glance at your thread title, I thought you were going to praise the band Humble Pie which wouldn't have been a bad thing J ! .lol
Jerome Wrote:A little while ago I posted a comment where I said that I thought The Boss was past it. I am swallowing a rather large amount of humble pie today. A couple of friends went to see his concert in SA a few days ago. Just about everyone says that it was the best concert they had seen. All THREE hours of it. I stand corrected......
SteveO....
you can scrub KISS off your list, they were great live performers, but age has cought up with them...
they toured here last march or thereabouts...i didnt see them(for the first time ever!)...
reviews werent very good...
only on stage for an hour and a half(including encores!), Paul couldnt reach or hold any of the high notes he is renouned for.
Gene stood ther like a 'bloated,stuffed pig' etc etc!
those guys are well past it IMO!....

that said, they have had 40 wonderful years as a superb live act, but the time has come for them to hang up their leather,wipe off the facepaint and retire!
JEROME:

i'll let you know how good or how average Springsteen is in a couple of days...
this is his next stop after SA, and the concert Dani and i are attending is the first of three here in Perth before he gets to the rest of AU/NZ...
im not biased when i attend concerts, i call them as i see them on the night!

im hoping he'll be very good as he has a huge reputation to live up to, but its the age thing and 3+hours on stage that make me hesitant, but hey, ive never seen the guy live and he is one of my 'bucketlist' shows...!
also,
hoping he'll perform a lot of songs from the Darkness On The Edge Of Town/Nebraska/Born To Run years...ie: a "classics/best of" gig!
As long as they enjoy playing and packing in the fans...doesn't really matter how age has deteriorated them!
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:SteveO....
you can scrub KISS off your list, they were great live performers, but age has cought up with them...
they toured here last march or thereabouts...i didnt see them(for the first time ever!)...
reviews werent very good...
only on stage for an hour and a half(including encores!), Paul couldnt reach or hold any of the high notes he is renouned for.
Gene stood ther like a 'bloated,stuffed pig' etc etc!
those guys are well past it IMO!....

that said, they have had 40 wonderful years as a superb live act, but the time has come for them to hang up their leather,wipe off the facepaint and retire!
Takes a real man to publicly admit a mistake. Good going, Bro Jerome. Remember BS is a New Jersey man--we may bend but never break (ask Count Basie or Bruce Willis). I didn't like him (Bruce Springsteen) at first--too generic, too kitsch. Now I can't imagine a world without him. I couldnt've grown up so it must be him...He's on top of his game. Period. Paragraph.
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:SteveO....
you can scrub KISS off your list,
So Kiss is off your list...couldn't resist. Change a few words around and there you have it, there you go.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7rExwCkRYI << I strive to not link the obvious--pretty hip though sweet cover album.
OTOH, the obvious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3eId1pizWc << find me a better music series on American TV...and I'll subscribe to that one too
An old thread, but I have to say that his 'The Ghost of Tom Joad' album is chillingly accurate in creating a sense of what's coming down the road. A dystopian future awaits the human race. Sad but true.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.