Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
the name/genre 'punk'!!!!!!!!!!!
why do people think bands like green day, sum41, simple plan, good charlotte etc... are punk???
punk died in 1978, once john lydon left the sex pistols and the clash introduced reggae to their music.
all gone, dead, buried, capput, bye-bye, no more
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
damn! very astute.
and me thinks you are correct
The industry did/does not want the term to die.
It sparks sales.
They want as many different genres they can come up with, to vasten their appeal to us masses.
Don't think the groups you mentioned can in any way be considered punk, as we know it.
There are still punk groups out there and there will always be.
They just no longer are of interest to a wide enough audience.
I don't think we can clearly say 1978 was the specific year it died.
I think Ronald Reagan killed it, so that would put it right around 1980.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
agreed, there probably are 'genuine' punk bands out there somewhere, there has to be, i hope there is.
green day sounded vaguely like the clash at times early in their career, but they are not 'punk' in the true sense of the word.
the so called experts seem to think anyone that puts 'social' issues into their songs are 'punk', if that is the case then singers like dylan and lennon, amongst others are 'punk'...i dont think so!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
I'm as guilty as anyone of using the term fairly loosely to describe pacy, raucous music (See recent Gogol Bordello reviews), but I do feel that the spirit is still to be found in some of today's artists.
At the end of the day I think that genres are simply labels that we use to try to convey information as simply as possible, but you're right that the term Punk seems to be routinely misappropriated.
Ed, what do you mean about Reagan's part in killing Punk ??
Posts: 2,223
Threads: 359
Joined: Oct 2009
When I look at punk and the years that it existed , the following thought occurs:
In punk you often see raw energy and powerful feeling, a chance to kick back at society and say "I'm young and I have life ahead of me...................Your older and you have had your say ..........now its time for mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Now, that is not the first time that situation has ever occurred..............and when I look at Rock and Roll its about the same things , so are many types of music which have cropped up in the cyclic nature of the musical world...........
So punk is not dead because the same thoughts and feelings reoccur throughout the generations............all that happens is they were different clothes and different make up ..........but when humans make music the same basic emotions and rebelliousness happens ..................
That's my opinion................you don't have to agree but :eek::eek::eek::hand:
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
gryphon Wrote:When I look at punk and the years that it existed , the following thought occurs:
In punk you often see raw energy and powerful feeling, a chance to kick back at society and say "I'm young and I have life ahead of me...................Your older and you have had your say ..........now its time for mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Now, that is not the first time that situation has ever occurred..............and when I look at Rock and Roll its about the same things , so are many types of music which have cropped up in the cyclic nature of the musical world...........
So punk is not dead because the same thoughts and feelings reoccur throughout the generations............all that happens is they were different clothes and different make up ..........but when humans make music the same basic emotions and rebelliousness happens ..................
That's my opinion................you don't have to agree but :eek::eek::eek::hand:
so gryphon does that make bob dylan the 'godfather of punk?'
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
Tiggi Wrote:I'm as guilty as anyone of using the term fairly loosely to describe pacy, raucous music (See recent Gogol Bordello reviews), but I do feel that the spirit is still to be found in some of today's artists.
At the end of the day I think that genres are simply labels that we use to try to convey information as simply as possible, but you're right that the term Punk seems to be routinely misappropriated.
Ed, what do you mean about Reagan's part in killing Punk ??
That was tongue in cheek and I meant to include Maggie.
Posts: 638
Threads: 17
Joined: May 2010
Don't usually listen to much punk & ironically, 'Sandinista' is actually my favourite Clash album, with thier last 'Cut The Crap' being the worst for me. Wonder if anyone has heard of The Gun Club, an LA underground Punk Blues band from the 80s & early 90s?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gun_Club.
Posts: 2,223
Threads: 359
Joined: Oct 2009
My guess would be that The Godfather of Punk would go far far back into the times of classical music somewhere
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
Mr.Soul Wrote:Don't usually listen to much punk & ironically, 'Sandinista' is actually my favourite Clash album, with thier last 'Cut The Crap' being the worst for me. Wonder if anyone has heard of The Gun Club, an LA underground Punk Blues band from the 80s & early 90s?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gun_Club.
their debut album is still my favourite,thats 'real' punk, 'cut the crap' was crap, although 'this is england' was a good single,its b-side 'do it again' was good also,better than anything on the album. 'sandinista' is the only clash album i havent got so i cant comment on that one,sorry
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
|