Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Barry Gibb & Friends "greenfields"
[Image: 220px-Greenfields_cover.jpg]

YouTube listen:

a collection of Gibb Brother songs reimagined as country tunes and dueted with country artists including Dolly, Jason Isbell, Keith Urban, Alison Krauss, Olivia Newton John, Little Big Town and Gillian Welch to name a few...
im a huge fan of Bee Gees (even their 70s disco material...) so i was hoping for some deep cuts, not the stock standard hits to be given a country feel...
okay,
so the songs do fit well in the genre and in my opinion a lot of their songs were basically country/folk songs anyway.
i just see this album as a play thing for Barry, it adds nothing to his stature at all.
best two songs on here are the two i was previously not familliar with:
"butterfly", with Gillian Welch that was a relatively obscure track from their pre fame days and...
"words of a fool" with Jason Isbell that was previously unreleased from a shelved solo project from the mid 1980s.
that said,
i cant really criticise Barry Gibb, he's paid his dues over and over again, had more successful comebacks than probably any other artist in the rock era, and who knows, this could be another miraculous late career comeback if past experience had anything to do with it.
ive already posted the Gillian Welch cover in this thread so heres the other one i mentioned:

another great song from the pens of Maurice,Robin and Barry Gibb.

May the "Too Much Heaven" collaboration score Alison Krauss her 28th Grammy award!

God bless you and her and Barry always!!!

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
enters the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #15

courtesy of Spotify

favs are probably the same 2 CH picked
because I was not familiar with them no doubt
only 2 tracks were terrible for me
Jive Talkin and How Deep Is Your Love
the rest get a passing grade
good to hear Olivia sounding very good

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Florida Georgia Line - Life Rolls On Music Head 1 14 25-02-2021, 21:14
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Morgan Wallen - Dangerous: The Double Album Music Head 3 19 08-02-2021, 15:26
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  NEW ALBUM: Jeff Tweedy - Love Is The King Music Head 1 12 29-01-2021, 13:47
  NEW SONG: Barry Gibb ft: Gillian Welch "butterfly" CRAZY-HORSE 1 53 09-01-2021, 01:12
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  NEW ALBUM: Sturgill Simpson - Cuttin' Grass, Vol. 2: The Cowboy Arms Sessions Music Head 1 27 26-12-2020, 17:32
Last Post: R_burke
  NEW ALBUM: Taylor Swift - Evermore Music Head 1 29 23-12-2020, 20:58
  NEW ALBUM: Mo Pitney "aint lookin' back" CRAZY-HORSE 1 78 22-12-2020, 13:09
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Russell Dickerson - Southern Symphony Music Head 0 35 20-12-2020, 13:41
  NEW ALBUM: Granger Smith - Country Things Music Head 0 61 14-12-2020, 14:15
  NEW 2020 ALBUM: Waxahatchee "saint cloud" CRAZY-HORSE 1 43 13-12-2020, 03:04
Last Post: SteveO