Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER ~ Quiet Places
ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER ~ Quiet Places

[Image: R-16015820-1601923162-5246.jpeg.jpg]
I have gone from one listening extreme to the other, from the loud and noisy to the sublime – a bit like our weather today! The zen-like cover artwork is a definite clue, but while calm and lovely – no jarring notes - Vollenweider manages to hold interest and avoid being saccharine. I don’t know quite how he achieves that – years of practice I expect! It’s fascinating – the ability he has to conjure up a magical, mystical atmosphere with this most ancient of instruments as a base. Mind you – it apparently had magically restorative powers way back in the days of David, so I suppose the journey continues – just in a different guise.

Really gorgeous cello throughout by Isabel Gehweiler, Walter Keiser provides percussion and drums, and the seemingly eternally benevolent Andreas gets on with the harp, piano, wind, keyboards, percussion, and the artwork no less.

If you like a bit of aery faerie nonsense that stands up proudly on its own considerable merit and isn’t formulaic sonic wallpaper – have a listen. I think the percussion goes a long way towards keeping it above the bland line, as does the cello. He hasn’t released anything since 2009 and this one seems at least as creative as some of his much earlier releases, of which I have several. I like it.  Cool

Some tracks that I noticed, particularly …

“Entangled” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIoL5ST9I-8

“Venus in the Mirror” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ05IIBdPDY

The opener – “Pygmalion” …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Oh I like this - have a couple of his albums. Favourite is 'White Winds'. Good to see he is still at it. Love the cello. Something to listen to in front of the fire tonight. This, a fire, a book and a glass of whatever. Bliss.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^White Winds is great - love the album artwork. Down to the Moon and Dancing with the Lion are good listens too, IMHO.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Helene Blum & Harald Haugaard Band ‎– Strømmen Ruby 0 14 08-11-2020, 11:41
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: DAVID BROZA ~ en Casa Limón Ruby 0 14 26-09-2020, 15:04
  NEW ALBUM: Maluma - Papi Juancho Music Head 0 30 07-09-2020, 11:36
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Burna Boy - Twice As Tall Music Head 1 30 30-08-2020, 12:56
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Wim Mertens - The Gaze of the West Ruby 0 84 08-07-2020, 13:55
  NEW ALBUM: RODRIGO LEÃO ‎~ O Método Ruby 5 281 08-04-2020, 17:16
  NEW ALBUM: Myrkur - Folkesange Ruby 2 248 22-03-2020, 11:49
  NEW ALBUM: Djabe & Steve Hackett - Back To Sardinia Ruby 1 272 08-12-2019, 22:24
  NEW ALBUM: Laurie Anderson "songs from the Bardo" CRAZY-HORSE 4 546 14-10-2019, 12:38
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
Video New Album: Albert de Rippe Dissily Mordentroge 2 285 13-10-2019, 02:28
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge