Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aulich
Hi folks!

I actually wanted to share this, because I think this is relevant to all musicians.

Instead of introducing myself (what is my name), I'd rather share with you what I've been up to these days....

https://violinist.com/discussion/thread....VFGpPK_vw8

I'm sorry, I did not have time to accomodate myself to the rules of the forum, perhaps posting a new thread is inappropriate behavior.

But please understand, that this might be important for you too!

peace,

Krisztian
I read the article provided by your link. I don't understand what you are trying to say. BTW a digital piano is digital - pure and simple. It can never be analogue because the sound is produced artificially.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
(10-09-2020, 05:01)Jerome Wrote: I read the article provided by your link. I don't understand what you are trying to say. BTW a digital piano is digital - pure and simple. It can never be analogue because the sound is produced artificially.

Hi Jerome!

You are right, in the sense, that you correctly understood what media experts babble about digital music technology.

But, even those who are nice, they excerpt their terminology from manufacturers, and industry-moguls, who themselves have no idea. The sad thing is that they actually use the technology (very advanced), but they don't even know how it works.... Sad

Anyway, the idea is, that electric instruments are amplified, and the signal (the acoustic vibration) is transduced into electromagnetic waves.

So, instead of an acoustic wave (which is a sine wave), you have now an electromagnetic wave (which also can be described by linear algebra methods).

But, why it is analogue? Because it is a continuous wave, a function, in the mathematical sense.

For instance:

z = 40y + 3

that is a mathematical function. And you can plot any mathematical function, either by hand (using pen and paper), or by Matlab, for instance. Try it. there IS a free student version for linux. There is an excellent tutorial on Dürer matrixes.

So, imagine that for every point of y, you have a z. The number of points are infinite.... They can be scaled, or I don't know.

But.... it IS a smooth function. The plotted curve (try a plotter printer :Smiles continuous, in the sense, that every point adheres to the next one, without a clear separating, or demarcating gap.

The nervous system is somehow similar. Perhaps this is a good analogy. Neurons connect via synapses. The signal transmission (electric signal, through ion voltage differentiation, saltatoric method) is not continuous, or it is, not sure. But there is a thing called a synaptic gap. In the synaptic gap, the signal is not electric (difference of Na+ and so on ion concentration on the outer and inner side of the neuron), but it is chemical.

Is that logical?

So, how does this connect to instruments?

Yes, a digital piano is electric. But the velocity curve is a smooth function. Whereas digital products (toy instruments, whether 4000dollars or not) have distinct number of loudness (keypress velocity) steps.

1. loud
2. moderate
3. soft

A continuous velocity curve maps the response of your finger muscles (guided by your emotions) well, whereas a discreet velocity method reduces it into something else....

Digital means anyway this, that you have a certain number of fixed values. Like the CD discs, the music in the .wav file on the disc is actually a bunch of 0s and 1s.

But, I think this is an interesting issue, because I'm not sure "velocity curve" means anything. Why does it called velocity?

Yeah, because how fast you press the keys. But does this terminology makes sense?

To me, it does not.

Smile

Krisztian
Unfortunately I cannot take the time to respond at the moment as I have to leave for the office. But I will reply sometime in the next few days. Interesting subject. But I have to admit I don't really know what you are trying to say. Velocity is the speed that you use to strike the keys and this translates into a calculated force applied on the keys which then tells the instrument what sample to 'fetch' from the sample bank and send to the output of the instrument. The movement of your fingers is analogue but the result is digital unless you are playing an acoustic piano of course.

Sorry got to run - I am going to be late today. Will have a think about this over the weekend.
(10-09-2020, 06:24)Jerome Wrote: Unfortunately I cannot take the time to respond at the moment as I have to leave for the office. But I will reply sometime in the next few days. Interesting subject. But I have to admit I don't really know what you are trying to say. Velocity is the speed that you use to strike the keys and this translates into a calculated force applied on the keys which then tells the instrument what sample to 'fetch' from the sample bank and send to the output of the instrument. The movement of your fingers is analogue but the result is digital unless you are playing an acoustic piano of course.

Sorry got to run - I am going to be late today. Will have a think about this over the weekend.

Hey!

I don't agree! But I accept you do have some knowledge on this interesting subject.

Plato had many colleagues. Nietzsche followed his path.

If you have a question regarding how to play those instruments, then I agree that you should ask N. Benedetti, Chen, R., or N. Kennedy, for instance.

But, just because I play violin. For keyboard, I don't agree!!!! Big GrinDDDD
Then we agree to disagree.
(11-09-2020, 03:57)Jerome Wrote: Then we agree to disagree.

Hi Jerome,

Certainly. But it is not entirely apparent where this could lead. It is a very simple assertion. But sometimes clarifying things in the first place paves the way to other insights. This is what philosophy is supposed to be in the first place, no?

To clarify the semantics. So, that you might understand something very complicated, just by able to name it.

Krisztian

Attached Files
.png   bachozoid.png (Size: 323.08 KB / Downloads: 3)
Sorry, but I don't know where you are going with this. I am not a philosopher, intellectual or mathematician. I just like music. Pure and simple. End of discussion for me. Maybe someone else understands what you are getting at and can continue the discussion but I certainly cannot.

Or maybe I'm just thick - who knows???