Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: SPARKS ~ A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip
SPARKS ~ A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip

[Image: R-15308442-1589524461-6524.jpeg.jpg]

Ha! It’s a glamrock comeback, lol! If you’re looking for something totally different to listen to – here it is. Cover art somewhat reminiscent of Mr Pollock (or Jack the Dripper as he is sometimes known - a not very subtle association to make! Blush ). And the title alludes to a form of torture, I suppose - another non-subtle visual clue there Big Grin . It wasn't too terrible, despite all that - I like every second or third track on this album. Just as weird as they ever were – good weird though – strangely engaging, and sounds like they’re having fun most of the time, interspersed with acerbic commentary on the general state of things; even the effing sounds inoffensive - some people just have the ability to get that right. I must say, I struggled to know where to put this - lots of electronica/synth but enough rock for this thread, I think. 

I don’t really know much about Sparks aside from having listened to Kimono House – I do know that they never did and never will fit into anyone’s mould and that brother Russell has a seriously impressive vocal range. Loving some of their song titles too – “Sainthood Is Not In Your Future”, for example, “I’m Toast”, “Onomato Pia” and “Please Don’t F#ck Up My World”. Any Sparks aficionados out there? Wondering how this stands up to previous stuff. Like ‘em or not, and I must confess that some of these tracks were a little OTT for me - (a bit like early 10cc, on steroids), there's no doubt at all they know their onions.

Tracks that stood out for me …

The opener - "All That" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPCs9SL7ZIk

Slightly post punky thing happening on “I’m Toast” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGPg8nVQ8k

“Left Out In The Cold” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk8xA6r1vGQ

“iPhone” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEhxe7cFB6A

and “Pacific Standard Time” – earworm in the making ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
I remember a few of their singles from the New Wave days, lets say 78-83 but that's it, never bought any so that probably says it all.
I also remember them being 'pretty out there' even for that period of music.
I vaguely remember listening to their last album several years ago, it obviously didn't make my 'end of year list'

I will give this one a listen over the weekend though.
best song for me was the opening track, All That, followed by Pacific Standard Time (both linked by Ruby)

Quote: a bit like early 10CC on steroids: unquote:
yeah, i'll go for that one, add in a bit of possibly XTC mixed with Primus for further effect.

overall, too much of trying to be everything (or more to the point trying to be too clever) and not enough of sticking to something.

gotta give credit where its due though, these guys have had longevity so good on them and they do have a loyal fanbase.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Dennis DeYoung "26 East, Volume I" CRAZY-HORSE 5 47 25-05-2020, 05:30
Last Post: Jerome
  James Arthur is back from the edge to deliver a beautifully honest album Kinga 1 967 24-05-2020, 06:46
Last Post: Jerome
  NEW ALBUM: Colin Masson - Anvil of the North Ruby 7 733 21-04-2020, 18:38
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Wishbone Ash - Coat of Arms Ruby 0 77 15-03-2020, 12:03
  NEW ALBUM: Magnum - The Serpent Rings Ruby 2 190 13-02-2020, 01:18
Last Post: ShepBranson
  NEW ALBUM: Thorbjørn Risager & The Black Tornado - Come On In Ruby 5 326 13-02-2020, 01:16
Last Post: ShepBranson
  NEW ALBUM: Alan Parsons - The Secret Ruby 3 534 19-01-2020, 00:17
Last Post: SteveO
  NEW ALBUM: The Who "who" CRAZY-HORSE 6 299 20-12-2019, 13:35
  NEW ALBUM: Cold Chisel "blood moon" CRAZY-HORSE 0 160 15-12-2019, 01:24
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEWISH ALBUM: Chris Rea - One Fine Day Ruby 4 259 09-12-2019, 19:45