Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: JASON ISBELL AND THE 400 UNIT ~ Reunions
JASON ISBELL AND THE 400 UNIT ~ Reunions

[Image: R-15259036-1589058087-1688.jpeg.jpg]

Isbell seldom puts a foot wrong IMHO - musically speaking, at least, over the past few years. This is another excellent album following on from 2017’s The Nashville Sound (which incidentally won a Grammy). Can’t believe it’s been three years!! Who knows where the time goes?

A blend of Americana and Alternative Country, accomplished musicians, most originating from Muscle Shoals, Alabama – lovely strings as always, courtesy of Amanda Shires (aka Mrs Isbell), the guitars are fab, as are Jason Isbell’s distinctive vocals, and he himself supplements bass and piano in addition to playing lead. Backing singers include Shires, Jay Buchanan and one David Crosby. I like the warm production which is, at the same time, quite crisp. I get the impression he’s a perfectionist – sometimes a heavy cross to bear. He observes the human condition and feelings with great sincerity – nothing too cheesy - largely drawn from his own experience I'd say, soulful and soul searching, some topical in an oblique kinda way (despite being conceived prior to the current woeful state in which we find ourselves), and he writes all the material - he’s a good lyricist. Oh – makes sense now – just discovered that he studied English and creative writing.  MH – curious to know if you approve of this one, in a country context … the last track on the album – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6alzZQXi7Y

As far as this genre goes, he’s definitely near the top of the heap at this time, in my view. My picks …

“Running With our Eyes Closed” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQ6ZYJLzfQ

“River” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5bathZEbNU

The album opener (on which he credits Michael Kiwanuka for incorporated elements from “One More Night”) … “What’ve I Done To Help” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYJlg0u7Ee0 – worth a listen …

Couldn’t decide whether to ‘feature’ this one or to go with the lead track … this won, obviously  Rolleyes  … “Only Children” …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Liked his work as part of Drive by Truckers as well as all of his solo work. My copy of this one is on it's way
^I need to listen to more of his previous work. Enjoy!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
very nice Americana album.

favourite tracks were "dreamsicle" and "what've I done to help".
enters the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #149

courtesy of Spotify

very nice
I have his second album
this is his seventh
didn't care at all for the 7 minute first track which had me worried
lead track always sets the mood for me
it got better after that
favorite didn't come till that last track
if it had only been first

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: American Aquarium - Lamentations Music Head 2 21 20-05-2020, 09:56
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Kenny Chesney - Here And Now Music Head 0 18 13-05-2020, 12:22
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Upchurch - Everlasting Country Music Head 1 33 04-05-2020, 12:20
  NEW ALBUM: Hot Country Knights "the K is silent" CRAZY-HORSE 0 45 03-05-2020, 21:44
  NEW ALBUM: Maddie & Tae - The Way It Feels Music Head 0 35 24-04-2020, 12:17
  NEW ALBUM: Ashley McBryde - Never Will Music Head 0 49 21-04-2020, 11:55
  NEW ALBUM: Gerry Cinnamon "the bonny" CRAZY-HORSE 4 88 19-04-2020, 18:33
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Sam Hunt - Southside Music Head 0 19 16-04-2020, 12:44
  NEW ALBUM: Gordon Lightfoot - Solo Ruby 1 60 09-04-2020, 05:21
Last Post: SteveO
  NEW ALBUM: Fairport Convention - Shuffle and Go Ruby 2 130 15-03-2020, 13:25