Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Fairport Convention - Shuffle and Go
FAIRPORT CONVENTION ~ Shuffle and Go

[Image: R-14719293-1580261205-6686.png.jpg]

Considering that the first incarnation of Fairport Convention launched itself upon the world in 1967, it is quite remarkable that they are still going strong, 30 albums later (or 29, not exactly sure about this number!) albeit with only two of the earliest members remaining, namely Simon Nicol and Dave Pegg. I say strong because they have somehow managed to reinvent themselves and don’t sound at all stodgy (in fact less so than on some of their earlier albums IMHO). What they have produced is a fine album indeed, in all respects. I’m not a big fan of strictly traditional folk which I find can sound stilted and unexciting - prefer a sound that is a bit more updated, and that is what this is; possibly a few too many ukuleles, and the odd hokey number, LOL, but on the whole – this band makes good, solid music and their experience really makes itself felt, without question.

This later lineup has been going for a while now – 20+ years, and very obviously manifests those elusive elements of ease and grace that can only be acquired over time and with plenty of practice – these imperceptible qualities can’t be taught, bought or quantified, and yet they add such an important layer – je ne sais quoiI may not choose to seek the album out, specifically, but I can’t think of anything that would stop me from picking it up if it wandered across my line of vision. Big Grin – a Spotify listen as no clips on YouTube … https://open.spotify.com/album/7MNoT4a5Y9kpBboXGnzDtx

Three standouts for me – the opener “Don’t Reveal My Name”, then “Moon Dust and Solitude” – a song about how Michael Collins might have felt, alone up there in his capsule during the moon landing, and the gorgeous instrumental at the end “Precious Time”.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
I would listen to this not knowing who it was simply for the cover painting, it says so much without giving anything away.

I will return to this, have one new release im about to post, then James Taylor and Jerome's link to Auralscapes...
^^

I would add "Cider Rain" to that list of standout tracks Ruby.

one track I wasn't keen on...."time for a fiddle and bow/the Christmas Eve reel"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: JASON ISBELL AND THE 400 UNIT ~ Reunions Ruby 4 23 Yesterday, 12:18
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: American Aquarium - Lamentations Music Head 2 15 20-05-2020, 09:56
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Kenny Chesney - Here And Now Music Head 0 11 13-05-2020, 12:22
  NEW ALBUM: Upchurch - Everlasting Country Music Head 1 25 04-05-2020, 12:20
  NEW ALBUM: Hot Country Knights "the K is silent" CRAZY-HORSE 0 38 03-05-2020, 21:44
  NEW ALBUM: Maddie & Tae - The Way It Feels Music Head 0 28 24-04-2020, 12:17
  NEW ALBUM: Ashley McBryde - Never Will Music Head 0 43 21-04-2020, 11:55
  NEW ALBUM: Gerry Cinnamon "the bonny" CRAZY-HORSE 4 82 19-04-2020, 18:33
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Sam Hunt - Southside Music Head 0 16 16-04-2020, 12:44
  NEW ALBUM: Gordon Lightfoot - Solo Ruby 1 56 09-04-2020, 05:21
Last Post: SteveO