Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Thorbjørn Risager & The Black Tornado - Come On In
THORBJØRN RISAGER & THE BLACK TORNADO ~ Come On In

[Image: R-14689942-1579701381-6559.jpeg.jpg]

The cover artwork sets the tone. Blues of the noir(ish), free-form persuasion. Free-form because there’s other stuff happening too – a bit of jazz, some funk, a fair dollop of soul, some psychedelia, swing and rockabilly moments – blues fusion, I guess. I can’t imagine him singing anything else – a good strong baritone evoking Billy Gibbons, Everlast, Tendai Mtawarira, Chris Rea and JJ Cale which is, errrrm, interesting! Cool murky bass as well - reminiscent of Mark Sandman (Morphine), on occasion.  

Denmark probably wouldn’t be the first place one might think of when the blues are bandied about – be that as it may, these are nicely executed songs, competent and loose so not sure why I’m feeling less enthused than I should be, all things technical taken into account.  There’s just not as much warmth and depth as there might be, IMHO, not picking up a whole lot of passion / colour / commitment – should perhaps give it another spin, to be fair. Risager has an enviable voice for the blues, don’t get me wrong and it’s a listenable album - ‘modern’ without sacrificing the bones of the blues. They’re better known in Europe where their performances sell out so I’m sure they must be charismatic in person. Worth a listen, I think – something a little off the beaten track.

Footnote: I go and look at reviews for the sake of interest, after I’ve formulated my own thoughts, so it was interesting to come across this quote by Thorbjørn Risager from one of them “The blues is my outlet. And this time, I’ve written some songs about having doubts about whether I’m the right place in my life. However, there is something fundamental in my songwriting that seeks the light. Which is about clenching your teeth together, saying, ‘I’ll just keep moving on’.”  http://bluesrockreview.com/2020/01/thorb...on-in.html

"On and On" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKeFSucNEA4

"Nobody but the Moon" .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8lcXN4Qyc (this is probably my favourite)

The title track ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
first glance at the cover and I was thinking Sinatra...

will get back to listen to this album later.
I like them and I just added this release to my amazon cart.  Here's an older song done live that I think really shows how talented they all are.  

I listened to it
nice to hear pleasant music that has a relatively genuine happy vibe to it
not sure why, but the album didn't really gel with me the way it should have

gets a passing grade, just not enough to warrant my putting it on the 'to purchase' list at this stage
(02-02-2020, 15:42)R_burke Wrote: I like them and I just added this release to my amazon cart.  Here's an older song done live that I think really shows how talented they all are.  

Thanks R_burke. Yes - I'm sure they're a fantastic live act. Will keep an eye on 'em!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Nice combo!

Yeah, the cover artwork has a Frank Sinatra vibe. I don't know if I would describe them as "noir" Feeling more of an IDK Americana/Blues style?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Wishbone Ash - Coat of Arms Ruby 0 25 15-03-2020, 12:03
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Magnum - The Serpent Rings Ruby 2 129 13-02-2020, 01:18
Last Post: ShepBranson
  NEW ALBUM: Alan Parsons - The Secret Ruby 3 441 19-01-2020, 00:17
Last Post: SteveO
  NEW ALBUM: The Who "who" CRAZY-HORSE 6 192 20-12-2019, 13:35
  NEW ALBUM: Cold Chisel "blood moon" CRAZY-HORSE 0 110 15-12-2019, 01:24
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEWISH ALBUM: Chris Rea - One Fine Day Ruby 4 188 09-12-2019, 19:45
  NEW ALBUM: The Flower Kings ~ Waiting for Miracles Ruby 1 122 08-12-2019, 22:37
  NEW ALBUM: Marillion - With Friends from the Orchestra Ruby 0 127 05-12-2019, 20:06
  NEW ALBUM: Ninja Sex Party - Under The Covers, Volume III Music Head 1 130 02-12-2019, 14:15
  NEW ALBUM: Various Artists - Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Waits Ruby 1 168 23-11-2019, 22:56