Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silly old git.
Photo 
Believe me, at times Tasmania can feel just as strange.
Forum Moderation is often no more than small minded tyranny.
(12-10-2019, 06:52)ITS\ .....I always used an apostrophe to show belonging to. I shouldn't have . Thanks for the observation. Dissily ! Using ITS with no apostrophe is correct I believe. I will amend my truest belief in music without the daunted ITS (')./                               Dissily M ordentroge Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 04:34)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: SteveO is a multitude of sins...LMAO

One of them appears to be a peculiar English usage " The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
A performer is an it'? I suppose from a record producers point of view though a lot of them do look like its'

Now how do I amend my signature, members ? I see no function in my profile section.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Hi!

I am not as well versed on classical as I'd love to be. But I have a tremendous love and respect for Stravinsky, especially how he composed bassoons (my favourite instrument). I also like Mozart (of course), Ravel and Schuman.

I am also a person that isn't pro christianity, but I am pro no religions.

Would love to know your top ten classical pieces!

P.S don't know anything about comedy musical so I am in need of recommendations!
(13-02-2020, 01:04)ShepBranson Wrote: Hi!

I am not as well versed on classical as I'd love to be. But I have a tremendous love and respect for Stravinsky, especially how he composed bassoons (my favourite instrument). I also like Mozart (of course), Ravel and Schuman.

I am also a person that isn't pro christianity, but I am pro no religions.

Would love to know your top ten classical pieces!

P.S don't know anything about comedy musical so I am in need of recommendations!

I’m the wrong person to ask about musical comedy, it’s one ‘art form’ I stay well away from having developed an allergy to it from the time my parents insisted on dragging me along to it at a very young age. I have to admit though as a young student of the pipe organ I was more than a bit of a musical snob.
Having said that I can recommend Leonard Bernstein’s ‘West Side Story’ despite the fact I don’t think we can call it a musical comedy. It's one of those rare works that sits between being a musical and an opera.

Ah, the bassoons ! It often strikes me as a ‘jolly’ instrument, at times bordering on comedic.

Stravinsky, Mozart, Ravel and Schumann; ; that’s a powerful list. Having been besotted with J S Back all my life I wonder why he’s not on your list?

My top ten classical pieces? That’s an impossible question for me to answer. It’s easier for me to say I’d put all of Mahler, J S Bach, Hugo Wolf, Arvo Pärt and more than a few others on my list. If there’s one piece I can’t live without, even though I only cope with it once or twice a year, it Mahler’s Das Lied von der Erde, the old mono recording with Kathleen Ferrier and Julian Patzak and the Vienna Philharmonic under Bruno Walter.

Don’t let not being pro-Christianity hold you back. I’m very much non-religious even though a biblical scholar (know thine enemy!). However that doesn’t prevent me becoming deeply involved in Bach’s religious works or anyone else’s. I won’t go into my reasons for giving up organ studies and turning against the church here. All I’ll say is that I refused to allow a deeply traumatic experience turn me against the music I love. At times though I have to repress an awareness of the texts of religious compositions. One in particular is a piece by Gregori Allegri , part of a body of work titled ‘Musica Prohibita’ where the phrase ‘My mother conceived me in sin’ appears. ERK!
Anyhow let’s not wander down that path or a nasty argument will be triggered with ’true believers’ who post here.
(07-10-2019, 01:29)Dissily Mordentroge Wrote: Music is such a difficult subject to write about but here goes. 
My taste was and is influenced (warped?) by never hearing anything but classical music until about age 9 or so. I was exposed against my wishes to musical comedy when my parents dragged me along to the movies but that didn’t take. I have a vivid recollection of running screaming out of the theatre when in South Pacific the song ‘When the Sky Turns a Bright Canary Yellow’ came on. Still hate it. Then came the shocking experience of a friend taking me aside and without warning playing me a 78 (yes, I’m that old) of Bill Halley and His Comets rendering ‘Rock around The Clock’. I thought the human race had lost it’s sanity. 
Then there was 11 years of studying the pipe organ from age 7 ( or was it six?). My love of classical organ music has remained intact but what I witnessed going on behind the scenes gave me a profound aversion to Christianity that lasts to this day.
My tastes have broadened however to include a wide range of music with the exception of rap, dixieland jazz and punk rock and a high percentage of contemporary classical music. But hey, I hear a lot of classical music as shallow, lolly pop populist rubbish anyway. 

I’ve had an ongoing interest in high end audio since my Uncle left me his stereo system in his will when I was only 14 or so.
This has sadly made me only too aware of the many faults in recording technique, especially a lot of the overproduced, over compressed digital mush we are inflicted with today. 

Luckily for a man in my decrepit years my hearing has remained fairly intact, even in the upper treble. 
Enough about me.

Quite a different experience from mine.  My parents immersed me in pop music.  Especially contemporary early 90s pop music.   Confused

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on music!
[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf6oGh-8cCs]

Subtle Q loves you!
(13-02-2020, 09:59)Subtle Q Wrote: Quite a different experience from mine.  My parents immersed me in pop music.  Especially contemporary early 90s pop music.   Confused
I’ve developed an allergy to ’thoughts’ on music as opposed to personal preferences.
Instance, long ago I learnt not to bother attempting to ‘prove’ J S Bach was a far greater musician/composer than any other you care to name. I can only state his work induces in me states no other composer does. Push come to shove I can tell you what it is about some technical aspects of his work that moves me but I don’t expect anyone else to have the same reaction.
I experience punk rock as a rather dull joke told far too often. The Sex Pistols ‘God Save the Queen, She aint no Human Being’ soon became the same dreary joke told over and over again . I’ll happily admit I find most musical comedy treacle coated crap but then again I have to admit a large body of classical music is pot-boiling, treacle coated populist lolly pops.
In my geriatric years though I’ve come to enjoy music that once bored me silly such as some country & western and the likes of Lisa Fischer’s recent jazz work. Check out her recent performance at Royal Albert Hall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZzSaKaEEjg
In fact it’s easier for me to list all the kinds of music I loathe. Take for instance overproduced digitally sourced mush that’s around today. I can’t even stand the sound quality of most of it let alone enjoy any musical value that may be hidden under all that plastic overproduction.
If all that makes me come across as a pretentious old fart, who cares. I only have to please myself.
(13-02-2020, 10:16)Dissily Mordentroge Wrote:
(13-02-2020, 09:59)Subtle Q Wrote: Quite a different experience from mine.  My parents immersed me in pop music.  Especially contemporary early 90s pop music.   Confused
I’ve developed an allergy to ’thoughts’ on music as opposed to personal preferences.
Instance, long ago I learnt not to bother attempting to ‘prove’ J S Bach was a far greater musician/composer than any other you care to name. I can only state his work induces in me states no other composer does. Push come to shove I can tell you what it is about some technical aspects of his work that moves me but I don’t expect anyone else to have the same reaction.
I can happily announce I find punk rock a rather dull joke. The Sex Pistols ‘God Save the Queen, She aint no Human Being’ soon became the same dreary joke told over and over again as far as I experience all of punk. I’ll happily admit I find most musical comedy treacle coated crap but then again I have to admit a large body of classical music is pot-boiling, treacle coated populist lolly pops.
In my geriatric years though I’ve come to enjoy music that once bored me silly such as some country & western and the likes of Lisa Fischer’s recent jazz work. Check out her recent performance at Royal Albert Hall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZzSaKaEEjg
In fact it’s easier for me to list all the kinds of music I loathe. Take for instance overproduced digitally sourced mush that’s around today. I can’t even stand the sound quality of most of it let alone enjoy any musical value that may be hidden under all that plastic overproduction.
If all that makes me come across as a pretentious old fart, who cares. I only have to please myself.

I like Chopin and I love punk rock, you pretentious old fart! Tongue

Subtle Q loves you!
(13-02-2020, 10:19)Subtle Q Wrote:
(13-02-2020, 09:59)Subtle Q Wrote: Quite a different experience from mine.  My parents immersed me in pop music.  Especially contemporary early 90s pop music.   Confused
I can happily announce I find punk rock a rather dull joke. The Sex Pistols ‘God Save the Queen, She aint no Human Being’ soon became the same dreary joke told over and over again as far as I experience all of punk. I’ll happily admit I find most musical comedy treacle coated crap but then again I have to admit a large body of classical music is pot-boiling, treacle coated populist lolly pops.

Well I love Mahler’s symphonies and I love the way Lisa Fischer upstaged the Rolling Stones decades ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLx4xJdCcZ4
My main love is still with J S Bach’s organ works. Not that long ago I’d have happily argued with anyone Bach’s organ compositions are the highest musical creation ever to grace this planet. Now all I’m willing to claim is these have a more profound effect on me than any other music. Long ago I gave up trying to convince anyone they should be equally devoted to his organ works. You either experience them as entering another universe, more wonderful than this , or you don’t. And by ‘another universe’ I’m not making any claims of a religious nature. Far from it. Bach himself would be horrified at my secular take on his output.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDE3klkmtQ
(13-02-2020, 10:36)Dissily Mordentroge Wrote:
(13-02-2020, 10:19)Subtle Q Wrote:

Well I love Mahler’s symphonies and I love the way Lisa Fischer upstaged the Rolling Stones decades ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLx4xJdCcZ4
My main love is still with J S Bach’s organ works. Not that long ago I’d have happily argued with anyone Bach’s organ compositions are the highest musical creation ever to grace this planet. Now all I’m willing to claim is these have a more profound effect on me than any other music. Long ago I gave up trying to convince anyone they should be equally devoted to his organ works. You either experience them as entering another universe, more wonderful than this , or you don’t. And by ‘another universe’ I’m not making any claims of a religious nature. Far from it. Bach himself would be horrified at my secular take on his output.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDE3klkmtQ

That Bach performance was really cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Any thoughts on Subtle Q?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf6oGh-8cCs

Subtle Q loves you!
(18-02-2020, 11:34)Subtle Q Wrote: That Bach performance was really cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Any thoughts on Subtle Q?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf6oGh-8cCs
The lead guitarist’s riff is too repetitive and apparently subject to some kind of extreme gating. The drummer the same. The vocalist sounds somewhat detached and pushing his voice into areas he’s not trained for. On the other hand theres a droll , sincere, musicality that leaves a lot of today’s over produced rubbish for dead.
However, the acoustics are too dry making the instruments sound as if they’re playing in a broom cupboard. That however could be due to some kind of compression either in the studio or on Youtube.
Reminds me of some early Australian pub bands I enjoyed when stoned off my face.