Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Bruce Cockburn - Crowing Ignites
BRUCE COCKBURN ~ Crowing Ignites

[Image: image.jpg?c=F52LaJ3Tl24Pg5-zzaGsET6KsMtt..._CLs0=&f=5]
A much lauded Canadian citizen, decorated for his contributions to  music, culture and social activism, Bruce Cockburn is known and respected primarily as a folk musician; he is a virtuoso guitar player, and he can find his way around a few other sound-producing bits and pieces besides, as he does on this album, “little ass” bells among them!

This is the second of the two instrumental albums he has made to date, out of a respectable catalogue of 33. I do think he’s a brave artist, I admire the fact that he doesn’t feel bound by convention and that in his own collected and consistent kind of way, he tackles burning issues - he’s conscious and has a conscience, there is no questioning his ability, and I enjoy some of the different sounds and moods he’s created, but still, I don’t feel completely enchanted by this release – it seems to lack flow and cohesion for some reason. Perhaps there’s only so much one can do on an almost exclusively acoustic guitar album, even if infusing the work with colour and emotion, as Cockburn undisputedly does – and there’s no denying he also manages to invoke a certain sense of spirituality in some of these pieces. I found myself focusing on every second track up to and including 5, then 6 was a departure to a more jazz oriented vibe, and from there on, the pattern went pear-shaped, lol! 

Admittedly those beautiful moments keep drawing me back, but aside from four tracks, it’s all a little too meandering for me at present. Maybe the album takes time to grow into. Really must listen to more of his previous work …

This comment about Crowing Ignites is from an interview on his website – http://brucecockburn.com/2019/interview-...ass-bells/

“It’s unusual for music without a lyrical content attached to it to convey a specific idea. But it certainly carries feelings. And it contains the capacity, depending on how the listener approaches it, to transport the listener to a place of their choosing. If I listen to mournful sounding Baroque pieces, for instance, I get a tremendously wistful peacefulness from that music. And there’s music that gets you all fired up and other music that makes you uncomfortable and so on. So it has that capacity as well.

In making music, basically what you hope for is that a listener will get out of it what you put into it, but there are of course no guarantees there. Fundamentally everyone experiences any kind of art through their own filter, and they are going to bring their own understanding of how it fits into their lives to the picture.

You can steer them by your title. But even there, does “Sweetness and Light” mean the same thing to me as it does to everybody out there? Probably not. So you’re always at the mercy of that subjectivity. But that’s both a strength and a weakness. On the one hand you can be specific about what you want to say but on the other hand there is still a universality to the absence of words because nobody has to get stuck on language, which can be another source of various interpretation. And then half the time people don’t understand the words anyway either.”

The four tracks that stand head and shoulders above the others IMHO …

The opener – “Bardo Rush” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQE_SCB-mw

“Seven Daggers” complete with “little ass” bells … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0ro_7WV7M

“Pibroch: The Wind in the Valley” … bagpipes on guitar, I jest not … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoZGGkupr4E

And “April in Memphis” – inspired by Martin Luther King … the only non-static studio clip available at this stage …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
i should have read your review of the album before I listened to the tracks Ruby....ALL instrumentals, I was surprised and not impressed!
^Do you have of his any other stuff CH? I quite liked the release prior to this ... or I did at the time.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
my fav

[Image: 220px-Further_Adventures_Of_%28Bruce_Coc...cover.jpeg]

(22-09-2019, 19:53)Ruby Wrote: ^Do you have of his any other stuff CH? I quite liked the release prior to this ... or I did at the time.

have heard no other albums of his except Big Circumstance which i own on vinyl. have heard other tracks over the years though.

[Image: 220px-Big_Circumstance_%28Bruce_Cockburn...cover.jpeg]
I have

In The Falling Dark
...Gavin's Woodpile blew me away back then
Further Adventures Of
Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws
World Of Wonders
Big Circumstance
Breakfast In New Orleans, Dinner In Timbuktu

off topic
sorry

have you guys heard of Jimmie Spheeris?

well then hear of him

nope, never heard of him...

I listened to your linked track, it was alrright
(23-09-2019, 12:14)Music Head Wrote: I have

In The Falling Dark
...Gavin's Woodpile blew me away back then
Further Adventures Of
Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws
World Of Wonders
Big Circumstance
Breakfast In New Orleans, Dinner In Timbuktu

off topic
sorry

have you guys heard of Jimmie Spheeris?

well then hear of him

Ok - I'm going to listen to the one that blew you away.
And yes - you've mentioned Jimmie Spheeris before - said you're reminded of him when someone talks about Shawn Phillips.
I looked him up and listened. Loved him. Thanks for the reminder!
^^
thought I may have mentioned him before
you never know what you may repeat after years

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Luke Combs - What You See Is What You Get Music Head 1 6 20-11-2019, 22:04
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Joe Henry - The Gospel According to Water Ruby 1 9 17-11-2019, 13:59
  NEW ALBUM: Vetiver "up on high" CRAZY-HORSE 2 52 15-11-2019, 17:43
  NEW ALBUM: Miranda Lambert - Wildcard Music Head 2 74 14-11-2019, 17:24
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Old Dominion - Old Dominion Music Head 0 68 08-11-2019, 13:50
  NEW ALBUM: Cody Jinks - The Wanting Music Head 1 30 02-11-2019, 15:03
  NEW ALBUM: Miranda Lambert "wildcard" CRAZY-HORSE 0 36 31-10-2019, 18:24
  NEW ALBUM: Avett Brothers "closer than together" CRAZY-HORSE 4 76 21-10-2019, 13:35
  NEW ALBUM: The Dead South "sugar and joy" CRAZY-HORSE 2 68 19-10-2019, 15:45
  NEW ALBUM: Brantley Gilbert - Fire & Brimstone Music Head 0 24 18-10-2019, 12:37