Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Gino Vannelli - Wilderness Road
GINO VANNELLI ~ Wilderness Road

[Image: image.jpg?c=GOdSZOHIJlj4HlgNw_e_MphUoDg0...oO-nA=&f=5]

Goodness! Do not listen to this album if you’re not into schmaltz, albeit highly accomplished, increasingly infectious schmaltz, lol! Vannelli has an enviably elastic voice and he is in total command of that instrument which is sounding awesome! This is one super smooth offering and is a mixture of jazzy pop with a touch of the blues, a bit of crooner and some almost gospel inspired foot-tapping moments. The man knows how to craft a song, without question - the album moves along at a smart pace, there’s enough variation to hold interest and the production is pretty slick too.

In contrast to the impeccable, deceptively glossy delivery, he tackles some rather sombre subject matter and dishes up the whole deal with supreme authority. Soft and somewhat cheesy, you might be forgiven for thinking (initially), but in no way easy to dismiss, IMHO – one simply cannot turn up one’s nose. I think his diehard followers will love this latest release and despite not being my usual ‘thing’, I confess, I might listen again! Blush Wanna hear more of those superb vocals.

It was his birthday yesterday – Happy 67th to him, and Bravo!

This is a mix of snippets as I couldn’t find another satisfactory clip … (I would have chosen “The Long Arm of Justice”) …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
I listened to the album without reading your thoughts/impressions Ruby and came up with the following:

jazzy, pop, crooner, balladeer, bluesy, toe tapping, smooth, polished production...
funny how you also mentioned cheesy/schmaltzy as I picked Manilow as a 'sounds like' on most tracks and he was cheesy/schmaltzy LOL...

and that's pretty much what you wrote...

Road To Redemption was my favourite track on here

superb album, MH you should listen to this album mate.
I listened to the album again and its one the "to purchase" list.
Glad you enjoyed that CH! I'll probably pick it up as well. 
Apologies for the inactivity on my part - having a very busy time not achieving a whole lot right now.  Rolleyes Big Grin
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Van Morrison - Three Chords & The Truth Music Head 0 4 6 hours ago
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Michael Kiwanuka - KIWANUKA Ruby 4 22 04-11-2019, 21:27
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Ringo Starr "what's my name" CRAZY-HORSE 0 40 25-10-2019, 16:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Iiro Rantala - My Finnish Calendar Ruby 2 67 08-09-2019, 20:28
  NEW ALBUM: Chrissie Hynde with The Valve Bone Woe Ensemble "valve bone woe" CRAZY-HORSE 1 77 07-09-2019, 14:43
  NEW ALBUM: Chick Corea/The Spanish Heart Band - Antidote Ruby 0 151 07-07-2019, 13:12
  NEW ALBUM: Jamie Cullum - Taller Ruby 0 181 12-06-2019, 10:29
  NEW ALBUM: Lewis Capaldi "divinely uninspired to a hellish extent" CRAZY-HORSE 0 145 12-06-2019, 09:44
  NEW ALBUM: Sting "my songs" CRAZY-HORSE 0 135 30-05-2019, 11:09
  Mark Colby's "Serpentine Fire" Album snoma01 1 1,773 15-05-2019, 10:31