Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else have a soft spot for The Carpenters?
I came into music via the usual teenage path and my points of call were bubblegum pop, rock, folk and up to a point classical and the 60s but......as I have grown older ( more mature?) I have learnt to appreciate and try many more types of music and the label of acceptable to my trendy image has withered and died. 

I find that the more I listen to documentaries and listen these guys were very clever and made great music....Karen has one of the best female voices ever......there were never trendy but trends are often blind to quality.....

What do others think? Shy
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
i have a compilation, i like some of it but dislike most of it, just not into cover bands and that's primarily what they were IMO
^^I liked them – their sounds were really good – and since uncle Neil and Hot August Night is about as much excitement as I’ve been able to wrap my ears around recently, and even that got a bit much at the end (and I had to skip "Soggy Pretzels" - what was he thinking?), I think I’ll listen to the mellifluous Karen and A Song for You – thanks for the reminder! I agree, she had a gorgeous voice.

CH, I differ re covers which I've probably mentioned before. Amazing how any number of originals were not all that wonderful, or successful until someone came along and covered them, or improved on them - brought them to a wider audience, and good for them - may even have resulted in recognition for the writer/s – so many variables. I also think a lot of the time it’s done out of admiration and respect, unless you’re the Sex Pistols or something (and possibly even then! Who can plumb the depths of those minds!! Lol!). I'm sure it's also strategic in many cases, however, Karen Carpenter had a gift for interpretation IMHO, just like Elvis Tongue . Dedicated covers bands are a whole different story. Anyway – tomayto/tomaato!!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
...touche on Elvis LOL.
I love the Christmas Portrait album.

God bless you and Richard always!!!

Holly
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
MH i'd like to read your opinion of The Carpenters????
^^
sorry
thought you knew
I love the Carpenters

sorry, I remembered discussing them with you, just couldn't remember the outcome of that conversation...I guess im getting old!
(2 hours ago)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: sorry, I remembered discussing them with you, just couldn't remember the outcome of that conversation...I guess im getting old!

we had a few weeks together
I expect you to know everything about me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazing Free Royalty Free Music #10 - "A Darker Heart" by Jason Shaw (Soft Rock!) MusicForTheDay 0 473 28-08-2015, 14:47
Last Post: MusicForTheDay
  What are your favorite soft songs, ballads, nostalgic piece? Godinshackles 3 572 24-09-2013, 22:30
Last Post: Godinshackles