Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings & Salutations!
Star 
Hey guys, happy to be here. 

My name's Russell. I'm a New Yorker but am currently living in Taiwan.

I'm a musician and writer among other things, and believe music has saved my life (more than once) so it's amazing to be able to chat with likeminded folks.

I like all kinds of music from a variety of different periods but I guess I mainly find myself listening to the following:

Iggy Pop / The Stooges
New Order / Joy Division 
David Bowie
Velvet Underground / Lou Reed
Echo & The Bunnymen
Spoon
Pixies / Breeders
The Cure
Beck
The Jam
Stereolab
The Clash
Radiohead
LCD Soundsystem
Ramones
Patti Smith
White Stripes
Etc. 
(haha no I'm not suicidal)

I also love 80s New Wave, old jazz and bebop, some hiphop, and classics like Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. 

I know I'm forgetting A LOT (especially newer stuff), but there it is. Nice to meet y'all.
welcome to MD....

any fan of The Jam is more than welcome here...
im also a fan of some of your other faves...
(12-02-2019, 17:28)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: welcome to MD....

any fan of The Jam is more than welcome here...
im also a fan of some of your other faves...

Awesome. Are you UK-based? It's amazing to me how many people in the US don't really know them. 

And I haven't really been keeping up but I know Paul Weller has a new album coming out soon.
im in Australia...

the new album is a live album from his orchestral tour of the UK last year....
(13-02-2019, 02:18)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: im in Australia...

the new album is a live album from his orchestral tour of the UK last year....

Got it  Wink
Hello there errr - problemsathome. Trust they are not insurmountable!! Big Grin

Welcome to the forum - hope you'll enjoy your stay!

Taiwan ... do you speak Mandarin? And are you a professional musician? What do you write about?

My taste in music is pretty eclectic - I think it's evident when an artist knows what they're doing, regardless of which category they fit into. I don't get along with rap and metal (although some of that can be quite entertaining) and I don't like noise of any description that my brain can't organise, lol! Tend to be largely inclined to the 70's and early 80's when musicians actually played instruments, although I am far from averse to electronica (of the vintage persuasion, mostly).
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
welcome Russell
nice list there
going down it I was waiting for Talking Heads or Sonic Youth

curious what took you to Taiwan

Welcome aboard the Great MD, Russell ! My taste in music is all over the place ! Crazy Horse turned me on to Paul Weller (The Jam, etc. ) but his exposure to the mighty USA market was minimal unfortunately !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
(13-02-2019, 13:50)Ruby Wrote: Hello there errr - problemsathome. Trust they are not insurmountable!! Big Grin

Welcome to the forum - hope you'll enjoy your stay!

Taiwan ... do you speak Mandarin? And are you a professional musician? What do you write about?

My taste in music is pretty eclectic - I think it's evident when an artist knows what they're doing, regardless of which category they fit into. I don't get along with rap and metal (although some of that can be quite entertaining) and I don't like noise of any description that my brain can't organise, lol! Tend to be largely inclined to the 70's and early 80's when musicians actually played instruments, although I am far from averse to electronica (of the vintage persuasion, mostly).

Haha yeah, name is just for fun.

My Mandarin actually sucks, which I only have myself to blame. I have been playing music since I was a teenager, been in numerous bands and toured internationally, but still hesitate to say I am a 'professional musician.' But I do some things I'm working on currently that might change that. I write fiction and some literary nonfiction/travel-type stuff. 

My personal favorite musical period is mid-late-70s to early-mid 80s so I hear you!

(13-02-2019, 13:51)Music Head Wrote: welcome Russell
nice list there
going down it I was waiting for Talking Heads or Sonic Youth

curious what took you to Taiwan

For sure! Those are also great bands. Just too many to name unfortunately.

Short answer is that my wife is Taiwanese, long answer is that I have lived previously in US and Europe and wanted to try Asia for a while. I am super into other countries and cultures, and think if you really want to do it you have to live/work/study there, not just be a tourist. And Taiwan in particular is amazing, totally unique and amazing but under the radar.

(13-02-2019, 21:16)SteveO Wrote: Welcome aboard the Great MD, Russell ! My taste in music is all over the place ! Crazy Horse turned me on to Paul Weller (The Jam, etc. ) but his exposure to the mighty USA market was minimal unfortunately !

Thanks!

Yeah it's strange...honestly so many people don't know him or The Jam. Missing out for sure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Salutations! fish 4 742 23-10-2014, 14:44
Last Post: SteveO
  Greetings and Salutations! Darkest_Star 4 942 01-10-2010, 22:16
Last Post: Darkest_Star
  Salutations from a music geek. Dawson 4 950 11-11-2009, 19:08
Last Post: Tiggi
  salutations bryce 2 973 20-07-2009, 00:10
Last Post: Beach
  Greetings and salutations. Ace 3 1,734 07-11-2008, 01:29
Last Post: Ace