Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Vangelis - Nocturne: The Piano Album
VANGELIS ~ Nocturne: The Piano Album

[Image: image.jpg?c=ohqJ-b1DBy6M_RdnGHiEcgSijaXJ...pAJWo=&f=5]

What can I say? This is Vangelis’ ode to the night sky and by association, outer space, and by further association whatever else takes his fancy, which is fair enough! It is a simply beautiful listen and I mean that in the exact sense of the word. I wasn’t expecting to be enchanted by the theme from “Chariots of Fire”, for example, but what a sensitive touch and interpretation – fascinating - I love it. This is an album of gourmet musical deliciousness without being too slick and overly sentimental; he doesn’t get all frilly and gymnastic on the keys (with the exception of one or two tastefully placed trills) – just plays with heart and grace. 

It’s not actually solo piano as has been bandied about – there is synth orchestration backing up the gorgeous grand, one wholly synthesized track, and Irina Valentinova-Karpouchina plays the piano on Movement 9 from Mythodea – stunning piece of work. Altogether quite magical, IMHO. 

Track listing (six of the seventeen are new arrangements of tracks from previous works – the rest are brand new):-

1. Nocturnal Promenade 
  2. To The Unknown Man (new arrangement - from Spiral)
  3. Movement 9 (new arrangement - from Mythodea) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGdlMuxVwjo
  4. Moonlight Reflections 
  5. Through The Night Mist 
  6. Early Years 
  7. Love Theme (new arrangement - from Blade Runner)
  8. Sweet Nostalgia 
  9. Intermezzo 
  10. To A Friend 
  11. La Petite Fille De La Mer (new arrangement - from L’Apocalypse Des Animaux)
  12. Longing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7xl_vvW3aE (not from Blade Runner as per mistaken uploader)
  13. Chariots of Fire (new arrangement) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKQjd9lK2ao
  14. Unfulfilled Desire 
  15. Lonesome 
  16. 1492: Conquest of Paradise (new arrangement)
  17. Pour Melia 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Don't even have to listen to it. A definite buy for me. Man always delivers classy productions. And he just has the touch anyway. The kind of album you play when you have plenty of albums to choose from and you don't know which one to pick.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^Sounds about right! Nothing not to love.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Laurie Anderson "songs from the Bardo" CRAZY-HORSE 4 92 14-10-2019, 12:38
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
Video New Album: Albert de Rippe Dissily Mordentroge 2 39 13-10-2019, 02:28
Video New Album:Erik Satie: Gymnopédies & Gnossiennes (Full Album) Dissily Mordentroge 0 31 13-10-2019, 00:18
  NEW ALBUM: Penguin Café - Handfuls of Night Ruby 0 36 05-10-2019, 14:03
Last Post: Ruby
  Your favourite Chopin piano work OKCATHY1 10 3,041 19-03-2019, 20:42
Last Post: bruckner6
  NEW ALBUM: Idan Raichel - And If You Will Come To Me Ruby 1 361 03-02-2019, 23:38
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Roger Waters "Igor Stavinsky's a soldiers tale" CRAZY-HORSE 7 870 04-11-2018, 06:34
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Tony Banks - Five Ruby 3 1,039 14-04-2018, 11:41
Last Post: Jerome
  NEW ALBUM: Tarja "from spirits and ghosts" CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,590 08-04-2018, 01:56
Last Post: SteveO
  NEW ALBUM: Benny Andersson "piano" CRAZY-HORSE 2 924 25-10-2017, 09:18
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE