Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same but different
MFS Wrote:Never heard this one, let alone of him... for some reason it brought a little smile to me , just a fun song to listen to...
Contemporary with Humperdink and the Beatles?
It's a fun song on the surface, but there is a dark message if you listen closely to the lyrics.

Alan Price was keyboard player for The Animals, before leaving to form his own combo. His style was a bit lighter and, shall we say, quirkier than The Animals, who had a fairly raw gutsy sound.

Alan Price teamed up at one point with Georgie Fame, whose brand of pop was decidedly jazz-influenced, so that should give you an idea of where he was coming from.
Thanks, I could almost guess there were Jazz influences...
The Animals, weren't they from the same L-town as the B-group... hmm, no... I cheated, but what tradition of artists they have in the Merseyside, damn it!
But House of the rising sun was the first song I could play on guitar so for that reason they will always be remembered Smile And yesterday I found out my 15 year old son played it from his Spotify list... Feel I'm getting somewhere in my nurturing Smile
bob_32_116 Wrote:It's a fun song on the surface, but there is a dark message if you listen closely to the lyrics.

Alan Price was keyboard player for The Animals, before leaving to form his own combo. His style was a bit lighter and, shall we say, quirkier than The Animals, who had a fairly raw gutsy sound.

Alan Price teamed up at one point with Georgie Fame, whose brand of pop was decidedly jazz-influenced, so that should give you an idea of where he was coming from.

Relistened and even looked up the lyrics... And you're right, the lyrics are not very cheering at all...
But I can't say I found the reason behind the message... Could you tell?
MFS Wrote:Relistened and even looked up the lyrics... And you're right, the lyrics are not very cheering at all...
But I can't say I found the reason behind the message... Could you tell?
You may be looking too deeply. I simply took it as saying "Yes, let's dance and sing, lets's have a wonderful time... but hang on, don't forget there are people in this country who have nothing to celebrate, they are doing it tough."

There was a novel of that same name, "Don't Stop the Carnival" by Hermann Wouk, which I have not read. I would surmise that it was the inspiration for the song title, though probably not the song itself, which seems to deal with a completely different subject from the novel..
There are a few examples of different albums, by quite different artists, with the same title. I thought I mentioned "Dark Side of the Moon" on this board, but I can't find that post.

Here's another example: I have both of these albums:

Kids In the Kitchen - Shine
Joni Mitchell - Shine

Kids In the Kitchen, for those who don't know, were an Australian "synth pop" band, a bit similar to ABC, and this was one of the first CDs I ever bought. Not sure I'd buy it again if my copy was lost in a fire... it has three or four really good songs, the rest is fairly generic 80's style pop.

Another example (I don't have either of these):

Peter Gabriel - Up
Shania Twain - Up

and another:

King Crimson - Red
Taylor Swift - Red
Just thought of another:

Gordon Lightfoot - Endless Wire
The Who - Endless Wire
A new approach I see, unfortunately I can't add very much to this one... Album titles never sticks to me as song titles and lyrics do...
K in the K is unheard of to me, but plenty of artists/music from down under were much played on the radio here during the eighties...

Another title duplicate is
Only you - Yazoo (Flying pickets) & The Platters...
Like both of them very much but Yaz wins by an inch...
Another one:

Camel - Mirage
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
bob_32_116 Wrote:Another one:

Camel - Mirage
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage

Were those song titles? If so, we can add Scotch Disco Band... Their Mirage is an old fav from 80 synth pop era...
And will definitely have a go on Fleetwood's, haven't dug deep into them actually.. Recently found some, to me new and good songs
MFS Wrote:Were those song titles? If so, we can add Scotch Disco Band... Their Mirage is an old fav from 80 synth pop era...
And will definitely have a go on Fleetwood's, haven't dug deep into them actually.. Recently found some, to me new and good songs
They were album titles. I don't know whether either band did a song called Mirage.

Speaking of Fleetwood Mac, they did two albums both simply called "Fleetwood Mac", which means you have to be fairly explicit when you say "Fleetwood Mac's self-titled album".

Of course Peter Gabriel was the champion in that regard.