Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ELP's Greg Lake dead:
[Image: greg-lake-2005-1100.jpg&width=796]

Greg Lake, the prog rock bassist who who fronted both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died aged 69.One of the key figures in progressive rock, the British musician is known for songs including In The Court Of The Crimson King and I Believe in Father Christmas.
In a statement posted to Lake’s Facebook page, his manager, Stewart Young, said: “Yesterday, 7 December, I lost my best friend to a long and stubborn battle with cancer. Greg Lake will stay in my heart forever, as he has always been. His family would be grateful for privacy during this time of their grief.”
The news comes nine months after Lake's band mate Keith Emerson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Lake was born on November 10, 1947, and was a member of the first King Crimson lineup, appearing on their 1969 debut album In The Court Of The Crimson King and second record In The Wake Of Poseidon; though he'd already left by the time the latter had been released to form Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
MORE: The King Crimson's complete Official UK Chart history
The influential trio would go on to release nine studio albums between 1970 and 1994. Look back at ELP's complete Official UK Chart history here.
To non-prog fans, Lake was best known for one of the UK’s most enduring Christmas hits. I Believe in Father Christmas reached Number 2 on the Official Singles Chart in December 1975.
so yes, another musical legend to probably round off the year...

I wasn't a fan of his but I loved that Christmas song he did.
I never warmed to Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Recently however, because of Greg Lake's demise, I have been hearing some of his work on radio, with ELP and with King Crimson, and I have come to the conclusion that the chief reason I did not like ELP much was Keith Emerson. He was very talented, but gave the impression he needed to constantly show it. I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead, but it's a fact.

Whenever I heard any ELP tracks that were dominated by Lake's acoustic guitar I have thought "That's nice" and have wished that I liked the band more.
Listen to 'Side Two' of Works Volume 1. Greg at his very best - and some really thought-provoking lyrics as well (assisted by Peter Sinfield)

On the right hand side track 2 to 6 - https://youtu.be/U_IObUySaC4?list=PL94gO...gOfnCIE0Tk
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
bob_32_116 Wrote:I did not like ELP much was Keith Emerson. He was very talented, but gave the impression he needed to constantly show it. .

Dream Theater are another group that apparently feel the need to show of their musical skills all the time to prove how good they are as musicians bob_32....
I still like them a lot but it does get annoying at times feeling like theyre telling me "listen to me, rocks most proficient...(insert instrument)"...

Yes Dream Theater are excellent musicians but some simplicity every once in a while wouldn't go astray,
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:Dream Theater are another group that apparently feel the need to show of their musical skills all the time to prove how good they are as musicians bob_32....
I still like them a lot but it does get annoying at times feeling like theyre telling me "listen to me, rocks most proficient...(insert instrument)"...

Yes Dream Theater are excellent musicians but some simplicity every once in a while wouldn't go astray,
There is a story told about Joe di Maggio being with a friend at a bar or restaurant. His friend was surprised that none of the staff seemed to recognise him, and he said "Tell 'em who you is, Joe", to which Joe replied "If you gotta tell 'em who you is, you ain't."

That's how I feel about flashy virtuoso musicians. If they are that good, then believe me I am going to notice it when I hear them play. They do not need to tell me so and ram it down my throat - or my eardrums.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Berry dead.... CRAZY-HORSE 2 877 20-05-2016, 23:54
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  Natalie Cole dead aged 65 CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,272 02-01-2016, 19:05
Last Post: SteveO
  Stevie Wright dead.... CRAZY-HORSE 3 944 28-12-2015, 00:32
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Stone Temple Pilots' vocalist dead aged 48. CRAZY-HORSE 0 486 04-12-2015, 10:15
  Alan Toussaint dead CRAZY-HORSE 2 957 14-11-2015, 20:59
  Lynn Anderson dead.... CRAZY-HORSE 1 831 08-08-2015, 17:59
  Errol Brown dead... CRAZY-HORSE 1 933 08-05-2015, 21:29
  Blackwater '64 Live in Studio Performance "Dead Man's Ghost" aaronpeipert 0 547 02-12-2014, 21:53
Last Post: aaronpeipert
  I though Hip Hop was dead but suddenly I ran across this music video mcyowassup 2 519 11-12-2013, 10:28
  Tony Sheriden dead CRAZY-HORSE 3 555 18-02-2013, 15:49