Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Artist/Album Association Game
bob_32_116 Wrote:The "big pink", in case you didn't know, was the pink-painted Brill Building, where many songwriters were employed to churn out hit tunes, a Tin Pan Alley as it were.

Sorry, but that’s not quite right. Big Pink, apropos The Band, was the house where they composed the album – recorded elsewhere. Dylan’s Basement Tapes was conceived there too. I was surprised to see mention of the Brill Building which I hadn’t heard of in association with The Band before, whilst I had heard of this house and the origins of the album’s name.

From the redoubtable Wiki ….

"Big Pink" is a pink house in West Saugerties, New York, located at 56 Parnassus Lane (formerly 2188 Stoll Road). The house was built by Ottmar Gramms, who bought the land in 1952. The house was newly built when Rick Danko found it as a rental. Danko moved in along with Garth Hudson and Richard Manuel in February of 1967, and it was in the basement of this house that Bob Dylan would join its residents and Robbie Robertson to write and record what came to be known as The Basement Tapes. The house became known locally as "Big Pink' for its pink siding. The house was sold by Gramms in 1977 to M. Amitin, who rented the house to Parnassus Records, a label specializing in classical music, which used the basement as its headquarters. In 1998, Amitin sold the house to Don and Sue LaSala, who maintain it as a private residence and keep the creative tradition alive by creating music in the basement with friends from the Woodstock area and beyond.”
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Back to the thread ...

ART OF NOISE – The Seduction of Claude Debussy

[Image: 220px-Seduction_of_claude.jpg]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
I stand corrected about the "Big Pink". I knew it referred to a house.
[Image: 51r-njutWFL._AC_US160_.jpg]

NEIL YOUNG "le noise"
just Neil and an electric guitar...
the album was produced by Daniel Lanois,
the title has two meanings, a play on words on Lanois name and
for the noise it makes throughout.
a couple of really good tracks on this one, much like
most what what Uncle Neil has done over the last decade and a half,
but he lets himself down down with a lot of crap on his more recent albums also...
so that begs the question....when will I ever learn?
White Noise - PVRIS
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
[Image: 61Fuvh7ULcL._AC_US160_.jpg]

WHITE STRIPES "icky thump"
im a huge fan of Jack White, and also a detractor also...
sounds conusing?, so are my thoughts about him/them...
whenever I listen to them I love what I hear but as soon as the album
is finished I always think..."what the heck was that about",
and the stupid thing is, I still buy WS and Jacks solo material when its released!
Average White Band - Cut The Cake
The Clash - Cut the Crap

According to reviews I have read, this is exactly what they did NOT do on this their final album before calling it a day, Topper Headon and Mick Jones having left the band (or been dismissed) prior to the release of this album.
bob_32_116 Wrote:The Clash - Cut the Crap

According to reviews I have read, this is exactly what they did NOT do on this their final album before calling it a day, Topper Headon and Mick Jones having left the band (or been dismissed) prior to the release of this album.

I'm a huge fan of The Clash and it is crap, the only album of theirs I cant listen to...
Was essentially a Joe Strummer solo album...
The first single from the album entitled "this is England" was okay but its b-side "do it now" which didn't appear on the album
was better than anything on the album, it was vintage Clash...
when I get home later, I'll post it and you can decide if you like it or not.
David Knopfler - Cut The Wire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Game Of Thrones CRAZY-HORSE 7 479 31-05-2019, 20:18
Last Post: SteveO
  Queen...monopoly game?! CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,012 11-01-2019, 18:37
Last Post: Jerome
  Song Title Shared Word game bob_32_116 11 2,911 31-03-2018, 20:15
Last Post: Jerome
  new Morrissey album on the way: CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,204 25-08-2017, 10:36
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Alphabetical 1960s song game: CRAZY-HORSE 30 3,372 17-08-2017, 12:08
Last Post: Music Head