Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Busy listening to Andy Jackson's 'Signal to Noise' Will give an update at some stage.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
(01-05-2019, 15:20)Ruby Wrote: DUNCAN MACKAY - Kintsugi

[Image: R-13278319-1555889480-1732.jpeg.jpg]

Kintsugi is the Japanese word used to describe ‘golden joinery’, or ‘golden repair’. It is the art of repairing broken pottery using a precious metal, allowing the cracks or breaks to remain obvious and through this medium, exposing the vessel’s history and emphasising its imperfections. It’s a philosophy – the embracing of the flawed. I like it. Wiki says - Kintsugi can relate to the Japanese philosophy of "no mind" (無心 mushin), which encompasses the concepts of non-attachment, acceptance of change, and fate as aspects of human life.

On the second and title track which starts at around 3.15, you hear a vessel smashing and the music proceeds to make it whole – with a brief vocal segment towards the end of the track.

There is the sound of the orient here in places, along with loads of psychedelic syncopation which will be the delight of fans of Emmerson and suchlike. The busier tracks are interspersed with more straight-ahead melodic pieces – they seem to alternate; the music is very proggy, of course, fairly experimental in places (although a little anachronistically so), and I would venture to say is recognisably Mr Mackay – his signature all right! I think Duncan himself is responsible for all the instrumentation, whether synthesized or not (the Hammond B3 is obviously a feature), and the occasional vocals are by a singer named Rebeka Rain who appears to hail from the land of Oz.

I get the minimal approach, and I don’t dislike the album - there is a lot to enjoy, but I have to say, I think it would have benefited from another layer or two somehow, another facet to give it depth and finish it off. It reminded me, in places, of Pete Barden’s solo album Seen One Earth - it’s clean which is great, sure, but whereas Bardens achieves a cohesion and a rounded sound, this is just too much on one level, IMveryHO Blush . I have listened several times but could be talking rubbish of course – never quite certain! Lol!! And to add insult to injury, I’m not sold on the production aspects either – no expert but I don’t think it’s good - the mix bothers me, and that surprises me somewhat, or maybe I'm completely wrong and it's intended?? Or could it be kintsugi??!! In which case my apologies for being critical.  Big Grin  

Released in late February this year by Marquee Records, Japan, on their Belle Antique label. There are no clips of individual tracks so this is a link to the whole album … 

Video for this is absolutely superb. Any idea who did it? Have to say it grabbed my attention more than the music!

I am actually listening to '73 Days at Sea' and watching this video together. Amazing.
^^No idea about the video, sorry. Didn't actually watch it the first time around - just listened.  
I think Roger Dean's legacy will last a very long time and have untold reach! He must've inspired at least some of it.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Andy Jackson - The Boy in the Forest - an infectious bassline keeps me hooked on this track - https://youtu.be/dyWWMAeYTtQ
Lowell George's only solo album (and assorted snippets from Little Feat). He was seriously talented - so is Bill Payne - fantastic keys man. I just love the pace on this rendition - 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-Bryan_Adams_WUTN.jpg]

BRAYN ADAMS "waking up the neighbours" cd, 1991

Canadian Bryan's sixth studio album...
I used to own several of his albums but they seem to have disappeared
over the years...
love just about this whole album, he's a great rocker...
and I love his rock material, not a fan of his slower sugar coated ballads at all,
good job theres only a couple of those on here including his biggest hit "everything I do..."
which I hate with a passion...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

good solid live clip from only a handful of years ago

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

"Kintsugi" is not that interesting.
WAY better is his newest release, "The Bletchley Park Project", which he done with Georg Vokos.

As to The Enid: good for you - you picked their two best releases.
^I am familiar with The Bletchley Park Project having first listened to it at Georg’s home studio - he’s a friend. If you like Georg Voros’s work, you should try Bach to Me.

Kintsugi is Duncan’s most recent solo release. https://www.discogs.com/artist/209760-Duncan-Mackay
Have you ever seen MacKay's first lp, Chimera.

I very much need this.

Was it ever released on a South African label?
I listened to the version of I Cant Stand The Rain that you posted Ruby...loved it, cool R+B feel to it...
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 1,650 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 1,833 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 2,085 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 1,078 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 30,195 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: