Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Cassandra Wilson. New Album "Coming Fourth"
#1
I just saw this on amazon and grabbed it. Haven't received it yet but I know I'll love it as it is a tribute to my other favorite female jazz singer, Billie Holiday. It is to celebrate what would have been Billie's 100th birthday. I'll post my impressions once I have gotten it and had a chance to listen a few times.
Reply
#2
Sunfist Wrote:I just saw this on amazon and grabbed it. Haven't received it yet but I know I'll love it as it is a tribute to my other favorite female jazz singer, Billie Holiday. It is to celebrate what would have been Billie's 100th birthday. I'll post my impressions once I have gotten it and had a chance to listen a few times.

Yes please do. Early reviews grade it very well done, and personally, I'd give a listen to Ms. Wilson singing the phone book.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#3
Great choice guys! Cassandra adds a somewhat modern avant garde edge ...very enjoyable! Can't wait for your review Sunfist!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#4
I have listened to the new album several times now. It is an interesting album. It almost seems as though she was constrained in some way in that all the productions are pretty laid back, straight ahead things. The recording quality isn't up to the standards that I have come to expect from Blue Note, that is when I looked and noticed, this isn't on Blue Note, it is on Sony's label. That may be the whole story right there. What I like about Cassandra is her willingness to really go out there and take some chances when she is doing a 'standard' piece. She always puts her own signature on it, some times it works and some times it don't, but I appreciate the fact that she tries to bring something new to it just the same. I am glad I got it, as someone said, I'd buy an album of her singing the phone book, but this isn't one of her better efforts and I have a suspicion it wasn't really her idea to do it quite like this.
Reply
#5
I didn't know Cassandra Wilson so well (shame on me!) until I heard her perform in Perugia, at the Umbria Jazz festival, one month ago. She must have drunk a bit that night, but damn! She's got that great solid voice, and that confident attitude, I really couldn't help my eyes from being stick to the stage that night. Amazing performance, and amazing songs from the album.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Lizzy McAlpine - Angel Music Head 0 7 3 hours ago
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Neil Young & Chrome Hearts - "second song" CRAZY-HORSE 0 120 22-09-2026, 11:16
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Sara Bareilles - Good Grief Music Head 0 149 15-09-2026, 11:56
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Sienna Spiro - Visitor Music Head 1 428 19-07-2026, 01:01
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Myles Smith - My Mess, My Heart, My Life Music Head 1 405 07-07-2026, 01:01
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Keith Urban - Flow State Music Head 1 477 29-06-2026, 12:07
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Niall Horan - Dinner Party Music Head 0 397 18-06-2026, 11:51
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Malcolm Todd - Do That Again Music Head 1 439 17-06-2026, 12:00
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Paul McCartney - "the boys of dungeon lane" CRAZY-HORSE 4 906 12-06-2026, 16:13
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Josh Groban - Cinematic Music Head 0 418 23-05-2026, 11:46
Last Post: Music Head

Forum Jump: