Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else heard the Anthology of American Folk Music?
Anthology of American Folk Music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you like old-time music, folk and country blues, then this is definitely going to be of interest to you if you haven't heard it yet.

For anyone who has, well, which are your favourite tracks?

It changes for me but right now I'm really enjoying the 2 recordings of Uncle Dave Macon - "Way Down the Old Plank Road" is a classic. Also, I should really get a compilation of Blind Willie Johnson stuff, "John the Revelator" is a great song.
That's not the only place to find music like that:

A friend who emigrated gave me a copy of this

[Image: 41F7F74M6SL._SS500_.jpg]
which is very good.

&

As far as I know, a guy by the name of Alan_lomax is the king of field recording, and there's masses of stuff out there which he recorded. None of the above are commercial recordings, but music that was being played by anonymous musicians throughout the US. Might be of interest...
This is a very good place to find much of what is available through the Librart of Congress as well boys - American Memory from the Library of Congress - Home Page :wink:
Beachie
www.beachblues.org
http://au.youtube.com/beachblues

Enjoy the fruits of life, for the fruits of death are few. (©Rod Jeffery 1990)
Tiggi Wrote:That's not the only place to find music like that:

A friend who emigrated gave me a copy of this

[Image: 41F7F74M6SL._SS500_.jpg]
which is very good.

&

As far as I know, a guy by the name of Alan_lomax is the king of field recording, and there's masses of stuff out there which he recorded. None of the above are commercial recordings, but music that was being played by anonymous musicians throughout the US. Might be of interest...
Lomax did a lot of that Tigger.
There are a a couple of recordings he did with Leadbelly and Woodie Guthrie as well which have some rather amazing stuff on them and were released many years ago through the Library of Congress. I think that most amy well be available through Rounder Records these days. Lomax was very responsible for getting Leadbelly's release from prison as well.

[Image: 00433r.jpg] Lomax onstage at the Mountain Music Festival, Asheville (North Carolina) - circa 1940s
Beachie
www.beachblues.org
http://au.youtube.com/beachblues

Enjoy the fruits of life, for the fruits of death are few. (©Rod Jeffery 1990)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: American Aquarium - Lamentations Music Head 2 214 20-05-2020, 09:56
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  South african international music contest kamalu 6 916 15-05-2020, 12:17
Last Post: Jerome
Video Steve Grand: All American Boy. Dissily Mordentroge 4 475 14-10-2019, 13:16
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  NEW ALBUM: Ryan Bingham "American love song" CRAZY-HORSE 0 347 25-02-2019, 07:57
  NEW SINGLE: American Aquarium "the world is on fire" CRAZY-HORSE 0 575 06-07-2018, 19:17
  NEW ALBUM: Margo Price "all American made" CRAZY-HORSE 0 484 03-11-2017, 03:29
  A collection of traditional American folk tunes Friedrich Hueppe 0 345 03-07-2017, 13:56
Last Post: Friedrich Hueppe
  Cajun Music Frands 7 758 09-04-2017, 13:10
Last Post: Frands
  Frank Foster - Good Country Music Music Head 0 601 20-11-2016, 11:32
Last Post: Music Head
  Vietnam folk dance thienbinhtan 0 670 20-10-2016, 09:34
Last Post: thienbinhtan