Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you like today's Music?
In my opinion, there is no such thing as crappy music or cheesy music. Music itself is hard to make and I have a lot of respect on those people who are trying to be creative and make music. When I go to the gas station and I hear music, they are apparently playing today's hits and to be honest, I don't like it. There is a difference between a well-crafted song and a song that is mass produced, it's easy to tell. When I say today's music I'm referring to the music in the Billboard. There are many underground artists and bands that sound really good and not a lot of people know them. I think the genre today where good music is made is Jazz. So when I am driving in my car I either listen to Jazz, Classical, or Classic Hits. That's what I feel the best music that is played in public radio.

My question is that, do you like today's music?
My heart is overflowing with a good theme; I recite my composition concerning the King; My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
Psalms 45:1
Ah, Blanche, you touch a sensitive theme. It is difficult to answer such a question without being accused of something bad. Today's music? Well, that's testy. Productions have definitely overtaken the crafting of the songwriter/composer. Digital means have rendered the job of whipping up music extremely easy. Composing is more a far more difficult job that few actually know how to do well. It is a time of easy consumption, versus the search for quality in music. And these reality talent shows really don't help. I listen to older rock, jazz, classical (I am just that, a classical musician), some high quality soundtrack, blues (the older ones) and a number of not so commercial singers on the US and European scene. Fact is, I try to select. But that doesn't exactly make me your typical listener, because I am endowed with criteria and taste derived from my being a professional musician.
But, as you can see, there are remakes of fantastic oldies quite appreciated by the Young uns, those youngsters that really care. I know some 14/15 year olds that are taken by Pink Floyd or Dire Straits. And they themselves talk of Greater musicianship in those times. Quite encouraging.
I leave you with a remake of one of my favourite oldies: (based on a theme by Bach)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJIVz9nYx7I
Beautiful.
Cogito, ergo sum...
In the words of that noted philosopher...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvcIWgzUQzA << That's my story and I'm sticking to it
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
I forgot to add soundtrack. Definitely film music, that's one of the things good today.
My heart is overflowing with a good theme; I recite my composition concerning the King; My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
Psalms 45:1
I listen to many genres, so I like today's music overall! I am not stuck to the mainstream , although there are some good "hits" on the Top 40! You have to work at it, but the good stuff is out there!!!! I am a weird duck, I can hear at least one good chord or snippet in most everything....lol...even rap...lol

Anathema's Weather Systems from a couple of years ago is possibly the best thing I have heard in decades!

[video=youtube;LWmCxKptGtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmCxKptGtU[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I think this is an excellent question Blanche! It would be great to get many more people to share their ideas:blah:

The replies here have been fun too. My answer in a nutshell would be no. My background is that I used to play "black American" music when I was NOTHING BUT proud of it. When we all loved Michael Jackson, and he was black. Before car windows were a form of violence and decibel law breaking.

If I tell a youf I liked Kwame or Grand Master Flash or X-Clan they look at me like I'm an archeologist and dismiss me. Meanwhile I can't stand but 4% of todays black American music.

I've also learned classical in the last 10 years and wow I find it much better music, sort of like Steve0 said, I find so many chords and complex forms! I had no idea, but even in Beethoven's minuet in G I found the "Hendrix Chord," 7+9 and was floored. Now I'm hooked on the stuff, working out Bach's Magnificat as we speak so sorry Earth Wind & Fire, Herbie Hancock and you all.. I'm into Mozart, Schubert and I could go on all day..

I still TRY to listed to today's music, but I guess they never realize that one boom-tick-boom-boomboom-tick rhythm has been played out.. and the messages seem lame, maybe I'm just aging (oh no!):eek:

I would answer that in general No I don't like today's music, but then again Lang Lang is an amazing pianist TODAY, and once in a blue moon I hear a new song that isn't retarded - but if you consider how many tools like sequencers, copy machines and all we have today and how little people had even just 30 years ago.. I'd say modern composers are generally lazy bums.. OK I said it, sorry!

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss my opinion. Sincerely,
Teo
Wink
Today's music? Is metal at all "today's music"?
My genre has evolved though. Aside from the emo\hardcore\nu genres coming into existance, it has been mainly positive development!
Metal of it's early times was kinda messy. Let's be honest - music industry was not ready for such advanced music.
The technique, the knowledge of musicians, finally the ways of recording songs - it all held the genre back a lot. The "growls" sounded like an effect of eating an old burrito, guitars were all over the place, drummers prefered looks over sound and everything was only niche. Well, there was also trash metal, which is just too straightforward to talk about.
Now we've got digital distribution that allows small bands to make music that's not for the "masses". FLACs are totally common and sound beautiful on the high quality sound devices, blah blah.
Bands haven't necessairly gotten less angry, they have gotten more focused though. Today's metal is smarter, because it's now it's own genre instead of a heavier combination of punk and alternative rock. Guitarists started learning theory, drummers started caring about sound, vocalists learned growl and screamo and wrote meaningful lyrics with something else except curses and satanic references.
Advanced metal genres were created and everything became great, metal is now a complete part of music, rainbows and unicorns, yay yay.
Today's metal sometimes trips over itself with all the soft and hip hop stuff, but hey - it's progressing too.
Teo Wrote:I think this is an excellent question Blanche! It would be great to get many more people to share their ideas:blah:

The replies here have been fun too. My answer in a nutshell would be no. My background is that I used to play "black American" music when I was NOTHING BUT proud of it. When we all loved Michael Jackson, and he was black. Before car windows were a form of violence and decibel law breaking.

If I tell a youf I liked Kwame or Grand Master Flash or X-Clan they look at me like I'm an archeologist and dismiss me. Meanwhile I can't stand but 4% of todays black American music.

I've also learned classical in the last 10 years and wow I find it much better music, sort of like Steve0 said, I find so many chords and complex forms! I had no idea, but even in Beethoven's minuet in G I found the "Hendrix Chord," 7+9 and was floored. Now I'm hooked on the stuff, working out Bach's Magnificat as we speak so sorry Earth Wind & Fire, Herbie Hancock and you all.. I'm into Mozart, Schubert and I could go on all day..

I still TRY to listed to today's music, but I guess they never realize that one boom-tick-boom-boomboom-tick rhythm has been played out.. and the messages seem lame, maybe I'm just aging (oh no!):eek:

I would answer that in general No I don't like today's music, but then again Lang Lang is an amazing pianist TODAY, and once in a blue moon I hear a new song that isn't retarded - but if you consider how many tools like sequencers, copy machines and all we have today and how little people had even just 30 years ago.. I'd say modern composers are generally lazy bums.. OK I said it, sorry!

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss my opinion. Sincerely,
Teo
Wink

Brother/Sister (and I don't care which)--Your answer made me weep with happy. But please remember the Black music we are familiar with and talk about are American/Western stuff--there is modern African music (and no, I'm not just talking about the complex poly-rhythms of Fela et cie.) that is as complex as most produced up in the West. It hasn't been brought forth North and that's our Anglo/Celtic shame--should be yours? A reasonable place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfnaQ9Cuw5k <<Remember, the banjo is originally a West African instrument...and aches to return home to re-assume its proper place.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
yes. there are plenty of good banks around these days. radiohead, placebo, depeche mode, soul savers, 69 eyes just to mention a few.

... Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe
Put your ray gun to my head ...

Bellini48 Wrote:Ah, Blanche, you touch a sensitive theme. It is difficult to answer such a question without being accused of something bad. Today's music? Well, that's testy. Productions have definitely overtaken the crafting of the songwriter/composer. Digital means have rendered the job of whipping up music extremely easy. Composing is more a far more difficult job that few actually know how to do well. It is a time of easy consumption, versus the search for quality in music. And these reality talent shows really don't help. I listen to older rock, jazz, classical (I am just that, a classical musician), some high quality soundtrack, blues (the older ones) and a number of not so commercial singers on the US and European scene. Fact is, I try to select. But that doesn't exactly make me your typical listener, because I am endowed with criteria and taste derived from my being a professional musician.
But, as you can see, there are remakes of fantastic oldies quite appreciated by the Young uns, those youngsters that really care. I know some 14/15 year olds that are taken by Pink Floyd or Dire Straits. And they themselves talk of Greater musicianship in those times. Quite encouraging.
I leave you with a remake of one of my favourite oldies: (based on a theme by Bach)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJIVz9nYx7I
Beautiful.

Great reply!

For myself personally the answer is no - I do not hear the same level of creativity in music compared to what I grew up with. I am not saying it does not exist - it does. But the really creative bands/artists are being drowned out by the X-factor brigade - where music essentially takes a back seat to contrived hype and where there is more money spent on appearance than on actual material. Yes there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. BUT, the chicken will come home to roost - it always does. Maybe, just maybe, we are standing on the threshold of a time where the new generation are going to realise that they have been duped by the market forces and that there really is something beyond Beyoncé. It might not be the music you or I like, that's OK, but maybe it will lead to something new or more creative than the mindless crap currently on offer. Because to be quite honest, what is currently regarded as being worthy of a Grammy, is complete shit.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star New music friday 18.10.24 #3 Mellope 0 44 19-10-2024, 00:02
Last Post: Mellope
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 55 6,171 16-10-2024, 00:22
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW MUSIC FRIDAY REVIEW 11.10.24 #2 Mellope 1 152 12-10-2024, 08:14
  NEW MUSIC FRIDAY REVIEW Mellope 2 218 07-10-2024, 15:41
  Coldplay's Moon Music (DELUXE) Album Review Mellope 0 138 07-10-2024, 15:32
Wink Coldplay's Moon Music Album Review Mellope 2 220 07-10-2024, 15:27
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,277 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,399 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,816 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 893 17-10-2023, 04:36