Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquarian SMiLE -- A Fanmix of Brian Wilson's unfinished psychedelic '67 masterpiece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RONDxAzVsY

For those unfamiliar with the legend, essentially SMiLE was supposed to be Brian's follow-up to Pet Sounds. Originally set to come out just before Sgt Pepper and herald in the Summer of Love, it was abandoned due to a multitude of issues including Brian's developing mental illness.

For those who are already fans, essentially this is a 2 suite, 12 track alternative to the usual 3 suite, 19-24 tracks that seem to have become the standard since Brian Wilson Presents Smile came out in '04. Please check it out and let me know what you think.
1. im not a fan of Brian Wilson as an "album artist" always thought he was a "singles artist" and regardless of what anyone writes or says about "pet sounds" i think it is an overrated album excpet for the brilliant "god only knows" track which IMO is one of the greatest songs ever written!
2. imnot interested in "fanmixes" of songs
and 3. ive heard "smile" and dont like it
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:1. im not a fan of Brian Wilson as an "album artist" always thought he was a "singles artist" and regardless of what anyone writes or says about "pet sounds" i think it is an overrated album excpet for the brilliant "god only knows" track which IMO is one of the greatest songs ever written!
2. imnot interested in "fanmixes" of songs
and 3. ive heard "smile" and dont like it
It was a dark and stormy night...At least throw off a kudos to Mujan for having tried, if only a tepid BLNT (better luck next time). It wasn't just mental illness that derailed Brian Wilson--it was also drugs and that he had no one who could "No" to him and make it stick. Don't get me started on "Dr." Martin Landy--this explains that exploitive relationship further: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Landy"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Landy
[/URL]
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
No need to comment in the first place if you're just going to completely dismiss me. Seems a tad unnecessary. Either give it an honest listen and let me know what you think or move on.
I get the impression neither of you actually listened. I think I did a good job piecing the many fragments into a unified whole. If you're not a fan of the SMiLE project in general, no need to waste mine or your own time commenting. However, if you are and are interested in a new take on the material (or if you're like me and believe there's potential in spite of the flawed BWPS/TSS presentation) please give it a chance. I don't care whether you like it or not--I'm not fishing for compliments--I just want some decent, *constructive* criticism.
I will make it my business to invest an hour in listening to this piece. I will give it an honest listen under the best circumstances. BUT consider asking that this Thread get moved from this Forum to one that is more "cruised" by your target audience, whoever that might be? I am not being back-slap testy--we don't want to lose your contributions now and in the future, and I'm looking for a solution. If you'd consider doing this move (with advice from the Admins as to which Forum to pick,) a PM to one of them should do the trick. I'm being descriptive here, not prescriptive.
I've loved the Beach Boys since 8 bars into the first song of theirs I heard (forget which one) in 1963 in small-town New Jersey (Thank you, Phillip Heinmiller, however your life turned out). I want this project to work as translated into the 2nd decade of the 21st century. I have/all of humanity has, sometimes put off trying to absorb because if it doesn't work, the disappointment can be crushing. And then, "...The disappointment is such/I pretended too much..." Point being something can be great...and still be a disappointment; then what are you left with? Now please re-read my first two sentences. Deal?
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
That's all I'm asking for. Not really sure where else to post on this particular forum, or who the admins are. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure who I'm targeting. I'd appreciate it if as many people as possible checked it out I suppose, hence posting on the main forum. Of course, if it gets buried here I don't particularly mind either--it'll find an audience on it's own, if it's good enough.

I just don't see the point in posting in the first place if you're just gonna describe in unnecessary detail all the reasons you won't listen. Just seems rude and pointless to me. This doesn't apply ro you of course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Angry Smile Emoticon - Millitary Fashion Show trav 0 336 30-03-2017, 13:44
Last Post: trav
  Steven Wilson interview bob_32_116 0 420 06-02-2017, 04:54
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Angry Smile Emoticon - Taos Hum Symphony trav 4 890 24-12-2016, 10:50
Last Post: trav
  Grandmaster100 unreleased unfinished ep GRANDMASTER100 0 311 29-05-2016, 01:35
Last Post: GRANDMASTER100
  Marconi Union Tips Their Hat To Brian Eno, Steve Reich and Kraftwerk Eugena 0 337 15-10-2014, 12:03
Last Post: Eugena
  Philip jenkins feat brian dunne ' man on a mission ' PHILIP JENKINS SONGWRITER 0 356 01-11-2013, 19:50
Last Post: PHILIP JENKINS SONGWRITER
  A cute little Valentine's Day song I wrote. Maybe it can put a smile on your face mick demi 1 394 03-02-2013, 09:44
Last Post: Music Head
  This made me smile and then laugh! ( BBC WEbsite!) gryphon 1 536 17-12-2011, 07:30
Last Post: Music Head
  Brian May to relese Jacko duets CRAZY-HORSE 1 539 11-11-2011, 21:08
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Release date set for 'lost' Beach Boys LP ( Smile ) Taken from The BBC Website gryphon 7 1,222 01-09-2011, 15:20
Last Post: TraceNspace