Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your format and/or device of choice
Like many here probably I've got music on all formats (tapes,cd, records, etc). But given the technology of today, I think mp3 (ripped at 320k from cd) is the way to go. I keep an 8gig iPod touch freshly filled with music (it also has orb and last.fm support via wifi).

And I keep a vestax turntable and a vintage NAD stereo system for the "obsolete" formats also.

What's your poison?
"Music is amazing. There's some metaphysical comfort where it allows you to be isolated and alone while telling you that you are not alone... truly, the only cure for sadness is to share it with someone else. " © Wayne Coyne
Obsolete only, I'm afraid (If you count CD as obsolete)...

I've got into trouble before on this site's predecessor for espousing the sound of vinyl. I firmly believe that vinyl out-performs any other medium that I've heard. Having said that, I've no experience with high bit-rate MP3, so perhaps I should rein in my opinions.

Most of my music is on CD, and I'm still buying them regularly with no intention of changing this until I have to. Haven't bought vinyl for years despite the above due to the prohibitive costs.

Hardware:

- Linn LP12 turntable, with a Linn Ekos arm, & Linn Karma cartridge

- Naim Audio CDS CD player with outboard CDS-PS power supply

- Naim Audio NAC-72 pre-amp with outboard Hi-Cap power supply

- Naim Audio NAP 135 mono power amps

- B&W 803D speakers

- Oh, and an i-Pod Shuffle postage stamp for listening to in the garden

- Oh, and a 1930's vintage wind-up gramophone for looking at
Tiggi Wrote:I firmly believe that vinyl out-performs any other medium that I've heard.

True.

Tiggi Wrote:Having said that, I've no experience with high bit-rate MP3, so perhaps I should rein in my opinions.

Flac (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is my favourite format. It's way better than 320kb MP3, granted you're not using iTunes because this fucked up program doesn't support this file type...

I have a super old Sony turntable that already has some decades under his belt (shit's older than I am).
Why is vinyl better? Is all vinyl better - or just old vinyl? Does anyone know the technological argument behind this viewpoint?

I just use whatever plays on my ipod as the quality is good enough for my purposes and I'm much too careless to take care of vinyl - but I've always wondered about some people's fascination with it.
In short: a vinyl is an analog recording of the actual sound whereas CDs are digital recordings taking 'snapshots' of the analog sound. Vinyls record the whole sound wave; CDs record an incomplete sound wave. The signal a CD transmits to your amp at home has to be converted into an analog sound while the signal coming form a Vinyl can be used without convertig it.
Does digital sound have the range of analog - does it have sounds as high and as low as analog? My son said something the other week about older vinyl having a bigger range than newer vinyl. Your explanation implied the same range, I think.

Are you saying then that the difference in quality is equivalent to 'strobe' lighting as opposed to a continuous light? sorta?
CMB1888 Wrote:My son said something the other week about older vinyl having a bigger range than newer vinyl.

I've never heard of such a thing. What range was he talking about? Frequency? Dynamic range?

CMB1888 Wrote:Are you saying then that the difference in quality is equivalent to 'strobe' lighting as opposed to a continuous light? sorta?

Sort of. Imagine a carrot. The whole carrot is the analog sound of a Vinyl. Now you take a knife, slice the carrot and ditch half (or even more, I think) of the slices. The rest that's left is your digital sound of your CD. But there are also Vinyls that sound worse than their CD equivalent.
I love the simple things in life. 4Gb nano ipod, and itunes. :tongue:
With Regards...

Anthony :coffee:
I have a 6gb Sony Walkman (NW-A1000) but I'm so fed up with the software that I plan on buying a new iPod classic (80gb will suffice, I think).
[quote=Iota]I've never heard of such a thing. What range was he talking about? Frequency? Dynamic range?

quote]

I really can't remember, I'll ask him in the morning. Thanks for the explanation though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time Format Correction techman 0 1,574 25-01-2008, 00:39
Last Post: techman