Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What Are You Listening To?
It'll never be my favourite collection, but I do love to dip into vintage Blues every now & again.
Reply
Tiggi Wrote:It'll never be my favourite collection, but I do love to dip into vintage Blues every now & again.

Have you ever heard any Sonny Boy Williamson II? Recentley heard his 'Down & Out' album from '59 which is amazing.

Anyway heres a new blues band I've discovered through Last Fm where they were giving away an album for free. A more soulful take on the blues, there is virtually no information about them on the internet so I'm guessin they could be Portuguese considering the title of their album: 'Gravação feita em estúdio em 2000'.
Either way, they're turning out to be shit hot!

Album in question is available to download for free on Last Fm here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Jean+Mitchell+B...ype=tracks
P.S. Press 'Last 6 Months' tab to access all of their free tracks (10 in total).

'Hootchie Cootchie Man' (Live):
[video=youtube;YCNLxasll4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCNLxasll4c[/video]
Reply
Mr.Soul Wrote:Have you ever heard any Sonny Boy Williamson II? Recentley heard his 'Down & Out' album from '59 which is amazing.

I'm currently listening to a 3-disc Elmore James box set, and he features quite prominently on this. Also have some excellent stuff he did with the Yardbirds. Haven't heard any of his own albums, so something else to check out...
Reply
Further to the above, SBW2 appears prominently in the booklet, but only actually features on one track !!
Reply
[Image: 511NObxQPVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

The 3-disc set mentioned above.

Covers large sections of EJ's short recording career, from between 1951 and 1963.

A master-class in electric Blues. The arrangements are full ones, with Brass, Piano, and occasional Harmonica augmenting the basics. Some of the songs are repeated in alternate versions including six versions of Dust my Broom from throughout his career.

Very, very good set.
Reply
^ Nice one Tiggi. I'll need to consider purchasing that. 'The Sky Is Crying' is one of the best blues songs I know. 'Dust My Broom' is also a classic.

Meet Juniour Kimbrough, a Mississippi bluesman who wasn't first signed to a record label until the early 90s, by which time he was well into his 60s. Sadly, he died only 6 years after releasing his debut album 'All Night Long' in 1992. Oh, and he had 36 children!

[video=youtube;z8kdVKvTmls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8kdVKvTmls[/video]

'Work Me Baby'- (amazing song which isn't available on youtube)
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/s...0me%20baby
Reply
with 36 kids, i guess he did 'the rump' more than his fair share of times
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:with 36 kids, i guess he did 'the rump' more than his fair share of times
lol
dusted his broom a few times too

Reply
To make matters even funnier, the correct title of that song is actually 'Do The Romp'! And romp he did !

Rickie Lee Jones: 'Balm In Gilead' (2009)

[Image: Rickie%20Lee%20Jones.jpg]

Came across this in my local library a while back. This is her latest album, having been releasing albums for the past 30 years. Listened to it once, ripped it to the pc and forgot about it. This album is a beauty and I on the strength of this one I seriously need to hear more of her works.

On amazon at the moment you can buy a five CD boxset of her albums for a mere £9.99!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-P...209&sr=1-1

Here is a very jazzy track and my personal favourite from the album:

The Moon Is Made Of Gold:
[video=youtube;fRW1cSPqjjA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRW1cSPqjjA[/video]
"Blogging like Jesus, tweet like a Pope
Site traffic heavy, I'm YouTubing hope" - Wire- 'Blogging' 2015

"But me and you were not to blame
Love always returns from where it came
Back to black and in the end,
It's all the same."- Terry Allen 'Back to Black' 1996[URL="http://www.last.fm/user/mirrorball95"]




http://www.last.fm/user/mirrorball95[/URL]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKpqmg_Xug0qMXDCJ1sdvMw
Reply
Jackie McLean Fire & Love 1997
[Image: 27018.jpg]
Jazz fans are probably familiar with McLean from his innovative and exciting 60s Blue Note albums. I have a few of those and love them. (That reminds me, I need to pick up those I don't own.) What many people may not know is McLean continued to make quality jazz through the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Later in his career, Jackie was joined by his son Renee, with Jackie playing the alto sax and Renee manning the tenor sax. This album features septet including Steve Davis on trombone. The music is delicious hard-bop with some sprinklings of post-bop and a hint of outside playing. "Mr. E" and "Optimism" get the album off to a rollicking start and the album is balanced with uptempo tunes and a couple/three of ballads. It's definitely an exercise of Fire and Love.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bossa Nova Covers - Easy Listening - Background Music feedme 4 4,431 14-07-2015, 21:11
Last Post: feedme
  Ur listening which country music ? Honey Singh 8 3 3,100 12-02-2014, 08:54
Last Post: Nhan Nguyen
  What are you listening to? josie 6 5,937 25-07-2008, 16:22
Last Post: vinyldisc

Forum Jump: