20-06-2014, 07:17
Tiggi Wrote:
On the laptop.
Jazz Pianist/Vocalist/Humourist Fats Waller was mentioned on here a few weeks ago, and it felt appropriate to see what I've been missing.
This is basically a good single-disc career retrospective released in 2000, which features most aspects of his multi-faceted talent. Sublime keyboard skills (he features on both piano & organ), a voice not unlike Louis Armstrong, and some brilliant tunes make for a great disc.
Definite Buy Lister, but I have my eye on a 2-disc set which I couldn't listen to on We7.
AllMusic 4/5 stars.
A marvelous complement to this is Jimmy Smith Plays Fats Waller, a '62 outing. Here's some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ss8DkWVzsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5n8wyTRyw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7jOCX2chw
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR


![[Image: 51EPW0SDP0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]](http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EPW0SDP0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg)