11-06-2014, 21:09
latorius Wrote:Re Nina Simone,
I would suggest a listen to the Albums Forbidden Fruit and Live at the Carnagie Hall, now available on one CD. In particular two outstanding tracks:-
Just say I love him - very unique as Slackmans guitar delicately weaves arround her voice in a gutrenching emotional tale of lost love. Only Judy Collins with "the first boy I loved", from the "who knows where the time goes" has done anything similar.
Trouble in Mind - a blues tour de force with just a trio, but she stamps loud and hard on it. I believe her contribution to the British Blues invasion in largely unacknowledged. Only Alan Price (ex Animals) has acknowledged her influence.
Excellent points made by the OP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-ydxVEWbg << comment #1 had it right too--only current singer that adventurous and skilled.
And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TCCxGi37H4
NOTE: these aren't necessarily the versions the OP named.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR

