03-01-2012, 12:06
from my library (vinyl)
![[Image: 5153QJE0FSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]](http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5153QJE0FSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg)
Time for another in this Time-Life series of Big Band artists. Picked these up at the annual local library sale a
few years ago. Thirteen album, 2 record sets, unopened, for a buck each. Went for books of course, and a pleasant
surprise to find these. This is the third set I have done, after Duke Ellington and Harry James. Absolutely love
this period of music. Born too late and still appreciate it. Pennsylvania born Les Brown (1912-2001), peak period
was the early 40's, which most of these tracks are from, however the guy was still active up through the 80's.
Started his band in the 30's while attending Duke University. The band was then called Les Brown and his Blue
Devils. One track here from that lineup in 1937. Later tagged with the name Les Brown and his Band of Renown by a
radio guy, it stuck and that's what they became known as. Signature song was Sentimental Journey and is my favorite
here. Doris Day was the vocalist on that and most of the bands vocal material. The band had 10 number one songs
during that period and became well known on the college circuit. Performed on the Bob Hope show for a number of
years and did numerous USO tours with him. Also the house band for the Steve Allen and Dean Martin variety shows. A
career to be proud of.
I LOVE THIS ALBUM
Worst Track - Bizet Has His Day
Best Track - Sentimental Journey
Gonna take a Sentimental Journey,
Gonna set my heart at ease.
Gonna make a Sentimental Journey,
to renew old memories.
Got my bags, got my reservations,
Spent each dime I could afford.
Like a child in wild anticipation,
I Long to hear that, "All aboard!"
Seven...that's the time we leave at seven.
I'll be waitin' up at heaven,
Countin' every mile of railroad
track, that takes me back.
Never thought my heart could be so yearny.
Why did I decide to roam?
Gotta take that Sentimental Journey,
Sentimental Journey home.
Sentimental Journey.
1) Sentimental Journey ***
audio - Sentimental Journey ~ Doris Day with Les Brown & his Orchestra.wmv - YouTube
2) Dance Of The Blue Devils ***
audio - Dance Of The Blue Devils / Les Brown & The Duke Blue Devils / 1937 - YouTube
3) The Booglie Wooglie Piggy **
4) Bizet Has His Day **
5) You Won't Be Satisfied (Until You Break My Heart) ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlwXJvPkWw
6) Comanche War Dance **
7) Swamp Fire **
live - Swamp Fire - YouTube
8) My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVyPsveAoU
9) Blue Danube ***
audio - Blue Danube - Les Brown (1948) - YouTube
10) A Good Man Is Hard To Find **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfXDefQRCV0
11) I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2O8gzeGSfg
12) Joltin' Joe Dimaggio ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjdzKJZ816c
13) Everybody's Making Money But Tchaikovsky **
14) In Love In Vain ***
15) Alexander The Swoose **
16) Just One Of Those Things **
video - Doris Day - Lullaby of Broadway (1951) - Just One of Those Things - YouTube
17) I Got The Sun In The Morning ***
audio - Les Brown Orch. w/ Doris Day - I Got The Sun In The Morning - YouTube
18) All Through The Day ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noqi82Kvol8
19) Twilight Time ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUE7KDINYpI
20) There's Good Blues Tonight ***
audio - Doris Day - Les Brown - (Ah Yes) There's Good Blues Tonight - YouTube
21) Leap Frog ***
audio - "LEAP FROG" BY LES BROWN - YouTube
3's - 12
2's - 9
1's - 0
Grade - 2.6
so many albums, so little time
![[Image: 5153QJE0FSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]](http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5153QJE0FSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg)
Time for another in this Time-Life series of Big Band artists. Picked these up at the annual local library sale a
few years ago. Thirteen album, 2 record sets, unopened, for a buck each. Went for books of course, and a pleasant
surprise to find these. This is the third set I have done, after Duke Ellington and Harry James. Absolutely love
this period of music. Born too late and still appreciate it. Pennsylvania born Les Brown (1912-2001), peak period
was the early 40's, which most of these tracks are from, however the guy was still active up through the 80's.
Started his band in the 30's while attending Duke University. The band was then called Les Brown and his Blue
Devils. One track here from that lineup in 1937. Later tagged with the name Les Brown and his Band of Renown by a
radio guy, it stuck and that's what they became known as. Signature song was Sentimental Journey and is my favorite
here. Doris Day was the vocalist on that and most of the bands vocal material. The band had 10 number one songs
during that period and became well known on the college circuit. Performed on the Bob Hope show for a number of
years and did numerous USO tours with him. Also the house band for the Steve Allen and Dean Martin variety shows. A
career to be proud of.
I LOVE THIS ALBUM
Worst Track - Bizet Has His Day
Best Track - Sentimental Journey
Gonna take a Sentimental Journey,
Gonna set my heart at ease.
Gonna make a Sentimental Journey,
to renew old memories.
Got my bags, got my reservations,
Spent each dime I could afford.
Like a child in wild anticipation,
I Long to hear that, "All aboard!"
Seven...that's the time we leave at seven.
I'll be waitin' up at heaven,
Countin' every mile of railroad
track, that takes me back.
Never thought my heart could be so yearny.
Why did I decide to roam?
Gotta take that Sentimental Journey,
Sentimental Journey home.
Sentimental Journey.
1) Sentimental Journey ***
audio - Sentimental Journey ~ Doris Day with Les Brown & his Orchestra.wmv - YouTube
2) Dance Of The Blue Devils ***
audio - Dance Of The Blue Devils / Les Brown & The Duke Blue Devils / 1937 - YouTube
3) The Booglie Wooglie Piggy **
4) Bizet Has His Day **
5) You Won't Be Satisfied (Until You Break My Heart) ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlwXJvPkWw
6) Comanche War Dance **
7) Swamp Fire **
live - Swamp Fire - YouTube
8) My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVyPsveAoU
9) Blue Danube ***
audio - Blue Danube - Les Brown (1948) - YouTube
10) A Good Man Is Hard To Find **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfXDefQRCV0
11) I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2O8gzeGSfg
12) Joltin' Joe Dimaggio ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjdzKJZ816c
13) Everybody's Making Money But Tchaikovsky **
14) In Love In Vain ***
15) Alexander The Swoose **
16) Just One Of Those Things **
video - Doris Day - Lullaby of Broadway (1951) - Just One of Those Things - YouTube
17) I Got The Sun In The Morning ***
audio - Les Brown Orch. w/ Doris Day - I Got The Sun In The Morning - YouTube
18) All Through The Day ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noqi82Kvol8
19) Twilight Time ***
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUE7KDINYpI
20) There's Good Blues Tonight ***
audio - Doris Day - Les Brown - (Ah Yes) There's Good Blues Tonight - YouTube
21) Leap Frog ***
audio - "LEAP FROG" BY LES BROWN - YouTube
3's - 12
2's - 9
1's - 0
Grade - 2.6
so many albums, so little time

