24-11-2010, 12:49
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571[/ATTACH]
Dave Holland Prime Directive 1999
Nice modern jazz by my favourite English jazzman. Sort of an odd combination of instruments compared to what some listeners may be accustomed: Soprano/Tenor Sax, Trombone, Vibes/Marimba, Bass, Drums.
When I first began listening to Holland, his compositions seemed extraordinarily boring and meandering. I gave up after a couple of listens to a couple of albums. After a while, I revisited those albums and a new reality revealed itself. What once seemed boring became energetic. What once seemed meandering became a mindful excursion. The music was the same, but my mind had changed. My idea of jazz had widened. I had a much better understanding of what to listen for, how to grab onto the dervish and get twirled away.
These days, I usually blind buy every new Holland album. And I haven't been disappointed yet.
Dave Holland Prime Directive 1999
Nice modern jazz by my favourite English jazzman. Sort of an odd combination of instruments compared to what some listeners may be accustomed: Soprano/Tenor Sax, Trombone, Vibes/Marimba, Bass, Drums.
When I first began listening to Holland, his compositions seemed extraordinarily boring and meandering. I gave up after a couple of listens to a couple of albums. After a while, I revisited those albums and a new reality revealed itself. What once seemed boring became energetic. What once seemed meandering became a mindful excursion. The music was the same, but my mind had changed. My idea of jazz had widened. I had a much better understanding of what to listen for, how to grab onto the dervish and get twirled away.
These days, I usually blind buy every new Holland album. And I haven't been disappointed yet.

