Music Discussion
Silly old git. - Printable Version

+- Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Please Introduce Yourself (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Silly old git. (/showthread.php?tid=20354)

Pages: 1 2 3

Silly old git. - Dissily Mordentroge - 07-10-2019

Music is such a difficult subject to write about but here goes. 
My taste was and is influenced (warped?) by never hearing anything but classical music until about age 9 or so. I was exposed against my wishes to musical comedy when my parents dragged me along to the movies but that didn’t take. I have a vivid recollection of running screaming out of the theatre when in South Pacific the song ‘When the Sky Turns a Bright Canary Yellow’ came on. Still hate it. Then came the shocking experience of a friend taking me aside and without warning playing me a 78 (yes, I’m that old) of Bill Halley and His Comets rendering ‘Rock around The Clock’. I thought the human race had lost it’s sanity. 
Then there was 11 years of studying the pipe organ from age 7 ( or was it six?). My love of classical organ music has remained intact but what I witnessed going on behind the scenes gave me a profound aversion to Christianity that lasts to this day.
My tastes have broadened however to include a wide range of music with the exception of rap, dixieland jazz and punk rock and a high percentage of contemporary classical music. But hey, I hear a lot of classical music as shallow, lolly pop populist rubbish anyway. 

I’ve had an ongoing interest in high end audio since my Uncle left me his stereo system in his will when I was only 14 or so.
This has sadly made me only too aware of the many faults in recording technique, especially a lot of the overproduced, over compressed digital mush we are inflicted with today. 

Luckily for a man in my decrepit years my hearing has remained fairly intact, even in the upper treble. 
Enough about me.

RE: Silly old git. - CRAZY-HORSE - 07-10-2019

welcome to MD...
we don't have a "classical" enthusiast here, so you'll fit into that that pigeon-hole nicely dudette LOL

RE: Silly old git. - Dissily Mordentroge - 07-10-2019

(07-10-2019, 09:55)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: welcome to MD...
we don't have a "classical" enthusiast here, so you'll fit into that that pigeon-hole nicely dudette LOL

Don’t fancy talking to myself about classical music all alone in my pigeon hole. Luckily I can prattle on about others forms like blues, jazz, world music, ethnic, country & western ( although I’m no longer certain what’s permitted to be called C & W) and some rock & pop. It’s not surprising there’s no classical poster.  A high percentage of those who enjoy classical music imagine all other forms are beneath them . How wrong they are.

RE: Silly old git. - Ruby - 07-10-2019

Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar experience growing up - no pop music in my house - classical music and classic movies shown at home only - no cinema going allowed. It was Enid Blyton and Julie Andrews-land on steroids - severely religious. I had no idea who Elvis Presley and the Beatles were until long after the formative years - completely passed me by. There was shock and horror when I discovered Pink Floyd. 

A large part of the soundtrack of my life at that time was a 500 pipe church organ. Not a walk in the park to master, from what I recall. Classical guitar and symphony concerts I went to willingly, and I'm grateful for those experiences, but I doubt I'll darken a church doorway again, unless under exceptional circumstances.

RE: Silly old git. - Dissily Mordentroge - 10-10-2019

(07-10-2019, 15:45)Ruby Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar experience growing up - no pop music in my house - classical music and classic movies shown at home only - no cinema going allowed. It was Enid Blyton and Julie Andrews-land on steroids - severely religious. I had no idea who Elvis Presley and the Beatles were until long after the formative years - completely passed me by. There was shock and horror when I discovered Pink Floyd. 

A large part of the soundtrack of my life at that time was a 500 pipe church organ. Not a walk in the park to master, from what I recall. Classical guitar and symphony concerts I went to willingly, and I'm grateful for those experiences, but I doubt I'll darken a church doorway again, unless under exceptional circumstances.

I do still darken church doorways but only for organ/music recitals. Any sermon would have me standing up on the pew arguing aloud with the fool in the pulpit. Too many years witnessing what went on behind the scenes in the cathedral burnt any respect for most of Christian theology permanently out of my brain. Strangely I still have in interest in biblical studies but only from a perspective of ‘Know thine enemy’. 
2nd Thessalonians Ch:2. V:11 comes to mind.

RE: Silly old git. - Ruby - 10-10-2019

^I doubt I am as well versed as you despite having been thoroughly catechised!
Scriptures in general are quite fascinating works, IMHO - the dogma leaves me cold.

RE: Silly old git. - Dissily Mordentroge - 10-10-2019

(10-10-2019, 21:33)Ruby Wrote: ^I doubt I am as well versed as you despite having been thoroughly catechised!
Scriptures in general are quite fascinating works, IMHO - the dogma leaves me cold.

I have the same perspective but to get into any deep discussion of it all here would I suspect be breaking forum rules.
Can I recommend you read some of Bishop John Shelby Spong’s works, especially his ‘The Sins of Scripture: Exposing the Bible’s Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love’ or his ‘Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism’. He writes in an easily understood style without any of the pseudo-philosophical gibberish most theologians are so fond of hiding behind. 

I was never catechised being a non-believer from a protestant family only in the Cathedral, for 11 years to study the pipe organ.
I could dish up some real horror stories of the evils I witnessed behind the scenes there but again this isn’t the place to do so.
All I’ll say is I survived where many didn’t.

RE: Silly old git. - SteveO - 12-10-2019

Welcome aboard the Great MD, Dissily Mordentrode !

RE: Silly old git. - Dissily Mordentroge - 12-10-2019

Thanks for the welcome. ‘Record Label Executive’? Now that covers a multitude of sins.

RE: Silly old git. - CRAZY-HORSE - 12-10-2019

SteveO is a multitude of sins...LMAO