Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Vangelis – Voices, followed by Vangelis – Portraits (a compilation). It was good Sunday music, especially since I am in the throes of packing for a house move. Music and books seem to take an awfully long time, mostly due to discovering things that simply must be left out of boxes and listened to, or read. Thoroughly distracting! Funny too how CD’s and their cases mysteriously part ways. I wonder if they’re hanging out in odd sock heaven with all the vanished other halves of a pair?!

Back to Vangelis – Voices is gorgeous.

“Come to Me” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCyRhtyq1Q

“Ask the Mountains” - (apparently the music was used for a washing machine commercial which I’m very glad completely passed me by - award winning or not.) Awesome images in this clip.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
I don't envy your house move Ruby...
but I hope it goes as smooth as it can be and without too much stress!
(13-08-2018, 09:44)Ruby Wrote: Vangelis – Voices, followed by Vangelis – Portraits (a compilation). It was good Sunday music, especially since I am in the throes of packing for a house move. Music and books seem to take an awfully long time, mostly due to discovering things that simply must be left out of boxes and listened to, or read. Thoroughly distracting! Funny too how CD’s and their cases mysteriously part ways. I wonder if they’re hanging out in odd sock heaven with all the vanished other halves of a pair?!

Back to Vangelis – Voices is gorgeous.

“Come to Me” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCyRhtyq1Q

“Ask the Mountains” - (apparently the music was used for a washing machine commercial which I’m very glad completely passed me by - award winning or not.) Awesome images in this clip.

On one of my trips to Cape Town I bought 'Voices' and went and sat on the beach one day and listened to the whole thing on phones. Mesmerising album. Top quality work by the Greek God. 
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^Absolutely Jerome – luminous work. How does he know to do this?? It's a huge gift - to be able to create something that strikes such a deep chord in other people. 

^^Thanks CH – much appreciated. I do not enjoy moving, but that’s life and it will definitely be an improvement, so all good and just a couple of kilometres away. Main stress is re my cat – difficult for them to adjust to new territory and he’s so at home in his present hunting ground (even if he does appear to be a vegetarian and mostly catches dead leaves, lol! It’s hilarious – he chases them around for ages - they don't stand a chance!  Big Grin ) 

I might disappear for a few days at month end, but … I’ll be back.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Probably my favourite Vangelis track - (there are so many to choose from) - https://youtu.be/GOwuniIgYXM

(14-08-2018, 11:44)Ruby Wrote: ^Absolutely Jerome – luminous work. How does he know to do this?? It's a huge gift - to be able to create something that strikes such a deep chord in other people. 

^^Thanks CH – much appreciated. I do not enjoy moving, but that’s life and it will definitely be an improvement, so all good and just a couple of kilometres away. Main stress is re my cat – difficult for them to adjust to new territory and he’s so at home in his present hunting ground (even if he does appear to be a vegetarian and mostly catches dead leaves, lol! It’s hilarious – he chases them around for ages - they don't stand a chance!  Big Grin ) 

I might disappear for a few days at month end, but … I’ll be back.

One of the things he knows how to do better than most is to utilize reverb correctly. How to make a sound fit the space that it is supposed to be in. You mentioned this in your post about 'Rosetta' as well. It's something I have noticed about his work over the years. I was a pimply prick in my teens when I bought my first Vangelis album but it still holds up some 35 years later. Says a lot about this man's work. The true measure of good music is whether it can stand the test of time or not. His does. 
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^Yes it does. I still love China which was what I first heard.