Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Something new coming up from DBA (Downes Braide Association) who are entirely new to me although this will be their third release. Geoff Downes is a known factor, of course, but I haven't a clue about Chris Braide. He has a long list of song-writing credentials (for artists I wouldn’t normally listen to, with one or two exceptions) and from what I have now heard, a good voice. 

The Association bit appears to apply to whoever else fits the bill at the time! Kate Pierson from the B52’s is on the sample track - Marc Almond, Andy Partridge (XTC) and Tim Bowness on others, yet to be released. 

The album title, Skyscraper Souls, seemed enticing and the Roger Dean looking cover art caught my eye. As it happens – it is indeed his fantastical brushwork. 

Based on the sampler, I listened to some songs from their second album, Suburban Ghosts (2015) - I suppose you’d call it AOR. I didn’t like the drum programming on the first track – sounded like it was going to run away with everything, but whoever was doing it seemed to acquire a little more finesse further along the way - or found the 'slow down' dial, lol! I quite liked “Vanity” - they’re saying what everyone else is saying about the sorry state of the planet, directly and without any subtlety, which although not 'clever' doesn’t make it any less valid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Jf1RVUS7E. That said, I probably would not seek out the album.

Anyway - it will be interesting to see whether Skyscraper Souls breaks any new ground. Due out around 17 November, I think ...

This then, is the title track … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

[Image: 71F53enazUL._AC_US218_.jpg]

THE ANIMALS  "complete animals"  cd,  1990:

two cd set containing forty tracks...
compilation set covers 1964-66 when they were "the animals"
prior to "Eric Burdon and the new animals"...
love their use of the Hammond Organ, it has such a distinct sound...
these guys, Manfred Mann, Small Faces and Spencer Davis Group used the instrument
extensively and I love all those guys...
IMO Burdon, as a blues rock, vocalist kicks Jagger's skinny ass to hell and back...
a superb collection of tracks from an authentic blues band from the British Invasion...

sorry, but its impossible to go past this, their signature tune as their best track:

(30-10-2017, 09:13)Ruby Wrote:
(28-10-2017, 16:23)Jerome Wrote: You are just too much..................

Ruby wins (AGAIN) - Sometimes I think you and I would have been the perfect couple but instead of arguing over the chores we would have ended up discussing album covers. Just think, progressive rock music 24 hours a day, the house in an awful state and the garden overgrown - I ask you what more could a woman want?

Fine wine. Lol!

Speaking of which, try some Brunello 2006 if you get the chance. Superb stuff!
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Best of Crowded House - some brilliant songwriting on this. Love it.
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
And seeing as nothing is working this morning I will put on something that does work - Cat Stevens - Catch Bull at Four. Magnificent album. He really should have made more of them.
[Image: 220px-Timefadesaway.jpeg]

NEIL YOUNG  "time fades way"  vinyl,  1973:

just hooked up my record player now my music room is just about finished...
first album played was this one...
a live album...
recorded and released in 1973...
all tracks previously unreleased songs from his "harvest" tour...
one of the best things he ever recorded IMO but Neil himself hates it,
he calls it "the worst album I ever made"...believe you me, he has made a lot worse than this one...
only album from his career not to be released on cd, purely for the reason he hates it!...

rom the album, the title track:

^Harvest was first up for me when I got my turntable going. Had to be - the soundtrack of my youth!  Cool
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

'Harvest' was the masterpiece. No two ways about it. Followed by 'After the Goldrush'. Neil has made many albums, some brilliant, some crap, but 'Harvest' is the one he will be known for. I am also a big fan of 'Prairie Wind' & 'Harvest Moon'. Must admit I have not heard 'Time Fades Away', so there's something to look forward to.

'Think I'll pack it in and buy a pickup.....'
[Image: 514MqGVbSAL._AC_US218_.jpg]

THE KNACK  "my sharona"  cd,  1991

another of my album listens for the weekend...
a compilation of sorts...
not sure how a compilation can only have one hit on it but there you are!...
dislike  everything except for the title track which is, IMO, one of the best songs of the rock era...
nothing else on here has anything going for them, just bland  nowhere, nothing music...
its worth buying for the title track alone

from the album, the classic single:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 602 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 452 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,121 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 413 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,519 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: