this one is equally so
reminds me of some Modest Mouse in parts
not as full, so more the vocals I guess
another one making the list
1.7 from me and a converted 2.4 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - That Old Black Hole

released Feb 7th, 2012

Bio - from allmusic

The Philadelphia-based Dr. Dog are part of a long tradition of D.I.Y. pop oddballs who blend unapologetic '60s pop
worship with lo-fi recording techniques and an apparent disregard for current trends. The group began as a part-
time offshoot of the more traditional indie rock act Raccoon. Over the course of several years, guitarist Toby
Leaman and drummer Scott McMicken found enough free time to record the casual, sprawling 35-track set The
Psychedelic Swamp in a basement rehearsal space, finally self-releasing it in 2001. As Raccoon ended, McMicken and
Leaman transformed Dr. Dog into a proper band, with McMicken on guitar and Leaman on bass (the two shared
songwriting and vocals), as well as guitarist Doug O'Donnell, keyboard player Zach Miller, and drummer Juston
Stens. This lineup recorded 2003's more focused and poppy Toothbrush, which -- like The Psychedelic Swamp --
received a low-key, self-distributed release.

When My Morning Jacket's Jim James, a friend of Leaman and McMicken from their Raccoon days, hand-picked Dr. Dog to
open for his band on an East Coast tour, the band's almost nonexistent national profile began to rise. With
O'Donnell replaced by former Raccoon bassist Andrew Jones and several Philadelphia friends making guest
appearances, 2005's Easy Beat was picked up for distribution by the indie label National Parking. Following its
release, the band toured again with My Morning Jacket and M. Ward and performed several well-received sets during
the 2006 South by Southwest festival in Austin. The stopgap EP Takers and Leavers was released in September 2006 in
advance of We All Belong, which arrived in early 2007.

Throughout the rest of that year, Dr. Dog began posting previously unreleased tracks on their website; the songs
were later released as Passed Away, Vol. 1 in March 2008. In the summer of that same year, the group released Fate.
Fate featured some of the band's most polished production to date. It also became Dr. Dog's highest charting album,
peaking at number 86 on the Billboard 200 and earning positive reviews from outlets like Rolling Stone and
Entertainment Weekly. After touring in support of the album, the group signed with the ANTI- record label and
released 2010's Shame, Shame, a modern album that featured more guitars than the band's earlier work. Golden Boots
member Dimitri Manos, who had played with the band on Easy Beat, joined up with the band as a full member, and made
his first appearance on a full-length album in 2012 with the release of Be the Void early that year.

Album Review - from allmusic

Always looking to tinker and experiment with their sound, Dr. Dog push their melodic, psych rock sound in a rawer
direction on their seventh album, Be the Void. The album finds the band stepping away from the intricately crafted
sound of their earlier albums in favor of a more vibrant, spontaneous vibe, resulting in an album that feels looser
without ever feeling lazy. The languid thump of "Lonesome," the album opener, immediately paints a picture of a
group who are making an effort to just feel their way through a song rather than over-thinking it. While a lot of
bands tend to get a bit aimless when taking this approach, Dr. Dog have such a refined sense of songcraft that
their "loose" is another band's "finely crafted." Even at their rawest and most instinctive, Dr. Dog can't help but
write songs with layers upon layers of pop harmonies, allowing the instruments to deftly dance around one another
on songs like "Heavy Light." To add to the more primal vibe of the album, Be the Void is swaddled in a warm fuzz
that kind of rounds off the edges and gives the whole album a stripped-down, elemental feeling. Though this puts
the album miles away from the meticulously assembled pop of Easy Beat sonically, its sense of exploration makes it
a kindred spirit. After all of these albums, Dr. Dog still haven't lost their love of pop music, and the more
organic nature of Be the Void proves that melody isn't just in the band's heart, it's in their DNA.

Track Listing

1. Lonesome
2. That Old Black Hole
3. These Days
4. How Long Must I Wait
5. Get Away
6. Do the Trick
7. Vampire
8. Heavy Light
9. Big Girl
10. Over Here, Over There
11. Warrior Man