I have been pondering this for quite a long time and has come up with some ideas:
- First I have alwys lived in a house where people wre playing recorde music either via records ( or tape recordings or the radio ).
- Second my mother tells me hat one way to stop me from crying when ababy was to put my pram in front of the radiogram whilst it was playing
- As a child , I was always facinated by the mechanics of musical reproduction, the physical reality of records has always held afacination for me, the brightly coloured labels , the idea of a spining disc that could turn a moving groove into sound etc
- My Grandfather also had the facination with recorded music.He owned 78s players , horned grammophones and even a cylinder player : in addition, he had need making apparatus and could produce a different needle to suit a different type of music using various need making machines for his grammophone. He had good knowledge of 78 technology instructing me to the two main technologies of reproduction, "Up hill and down dale " recodings and "curving river" technology ( the one used until today !)
- My Father was alawys into inovation and spend a lot of time recording music on a reel to reel tape recorder. We were into early inovations 45s Stereo , quad sound, FM radio etc and may others
I believe these and perhaps a few other things led me to become interested in recorded music What is your story ?