excellent lyrics and delivery
    tied for best of the year
    on the list
    1.9 from me and a converted 2.4 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - Honolulu Blues
    Craig Finn - Honolulu Blues - YouTube

released Jan 24th, 2012

Bio - from allmusic

Perhaps best known as the singer of the Hold Steady, Craig Finn is a Minnesota-bred singer, songwriter, and
    guitarist based out of New York City. Combining literary influences like Jack Kerouac and John Berryman with the
    musical influences of Bruce Springsteen and fellow Minnesotan Paul Westerberg, Finn's highly descriptive lyrical
    style has a focus on narrative, crafting whole worlds for the people in his songs to exist within. In 1994, the
    singer put this style to work with the indie rock band Lifter Puller, refining his craft over the course of their
    three albums before the band called it quits in 2000. After the band dissolved, Finn relocated from the Twin Cities
    to New York, where he would collaborate with producer Mr. Projectile on the short-lived project the Brokerdealer in
    2001 before eventually reuniting with Lifter Puller bassist Tad Kubler to form the Hold Steady in 2004. While the
    band's whiskey-fueled bar rock sound was a departure from the angular, synth-filled sounds of Lifter Puller, Finn's
    lyrically dense storytelling style remained intact, making the Hold Steady the thinking man's bar band. After five
    albums with the band, the singer and songwriter tried his hand at a solo album during some downtime from his main
    project, and in 2012 released Clear Heart Full Eyes through Vagrant Records.

Album Review - from allmusic

Whether he’s spinning tales of arson and murder over the angular, synth-kissed indie rock of Lifter Puller, or
    recounting the excesses and fatal flaws of his fictional Twin Cities denizen with the Hold Steady’s swagger-filled
    bar rock behind him, Craig Finn has always had a way of blending in with whatever music he’s accompanied by without
    losing his writerly voice. With its mellow, lonely sound, Finn’s solo debut, Clear Heart Full Eyes, finds the
    songwriter looking for a change of sonic scenery that feels more like a vacation from his other work than a
    departure, with the singer maintaining his identity as a songwriter as he adapts to a more distinctly country
    sound. Over the course of its 11 tracks, the album unfolds like a series of vacation snapshots that show Finn being
    himself in a new locale. Unsurprisingly, the singer is able to deftly adapt to his new surroundings, with his
    narrative, story-filled lyrics taking on a newfound earnestness that reflects the plaintive strains of pedal steel
    that weaves in and out of these more restrained arrangements. This ability to meld with, rather than take over, the
    songs he’s on is a testament to Finn’s abilities not just as a lyricist and a singer, but as a raconteur. Finn’s
    guileless, observational create a clean, engrossing narrative that allows listeners to escape into another world
    for a few minutes at a time. Though this kind of approach doesn’t leave a whole lot up to interpretation, its
    directness gives you the opportunity to contemplate the “who,” “where,” when,” and “why” of the songs rather than
    just the “what.” Anyone expecting the bar rock bravado of the Hold Steady is probably going to be disappointed by
    Clear Heart Full Eyes’ subdued vibe, but anyone looking for more of Craig Finn’s sprawling tales will feel right at

Track Listing

1. Apollo Bay
    2. When No Ones Watching
    3. No Future
    4. New Friend Jesus
    5. Jackson
    6. Terrified Eyes
    7. Western Pier
    8. Honolulu Blues
    9. Rented Room
    10. Balcony
    11. Not Much Left of Us
    “A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.”
    Will Rogers

Lead Vocalist
    Santa Paula, CA

I'm not familiar with his other work in Hold Steady, but I bought this after listening to samples. It showed up in my amazon recommendations based on other purchases of mine. I like it a lot and hope he sticks with this style in the future. If you like this you might also like Ray Wylie Hubbard