Thread: Another one of those...

Default Another one of those...

...Favourite classical music piece (or Baroque, Romantic etc.)

A what it says on the tin thread that's been done a million times before, your favourite piece and why =]

For me it would have to be the prelude from Bachs Cello Suite No.1, it's got a fantastic use of dynamics for emotional effect, and really gives the cello an amazing piece in its repetoire.

Post away

United Kingdom

If I had to pick out a "piece" of music (Rather than a complete work), it would have to be the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana by Mascagni.

First encountered this as the main theme music in Martin Scorcese's movie Raging Bull. Fell in love with this most beautiful pieces of music instantly. For me, it has an extraordinarily evocative mood (evocative of exactly what I'm not quite sure), and its' atmosphere has an impact on me every time I hear it.

Oddly, when Mrs Tiggi found the perfect wind-up gramophone in an antique shop, as a birthday prezzie for me, a 78 of this piece was on the platter in the shop...

I saw Master and Commander last year and immediately fell in love with Boccherini's Musica Notturna delle strade di Madrid. I had to buy the soundtrack and a year later is still my most listened to piece.

I had to drive an hour to meet a cousin yesterday and had that track on repeat the whole way down and half way back. Switched to the Mozart Concerto (K. 216) - another of my favorites - halfway home.

Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor. Nothing can top that single piece of music for me. It is such a saddening and emotional song.

Tomaso Albinoni's adagio in G minor is a very moving piece. One of my favourites, but my all time favourite would have to be Beethoven's Third Movement of the Moonlight Sonata:]
    the arpeggios are so well placed. It has such emotion it blows me away.

Findlay, Ohio

That's easy--the Finale to Mahler's 8th ("Symphony of a Thousand") It never fails to give me goosebumps..I think it's the most sublime piece of choral work ever composed.

A close second...the adagio sostenuto (2nd movement) of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto...
    Last edited by Artanaxes; 19-01-2011 at 23:29.

So many pieces i love...
    Now my first pick is Sibelius' "The Swan of Tuonela".
    I love his symphonies and tone poems too.