not bad for current r&b for me which usually gets low marks
nice Bill Withers sounding voice
1 almost love (the clip) and 3 like tracks with a few more border line
still just misses the buy list
1.6 and yet to be rated from the pros at allmusic

from the album - Who's Loving You

released Dec 13th, 2011

from all music

A soul singer who drew comparisons to such classic vocalists as Bill Withers and Bobby Womack, Anthony Hamilton
struggled for the better part of the 1990s as two of his albums went unreleased. While he didn't always get the
label support his talent deserved, Hamilton established himself during the 2000s as one of the rawest, most
singular, and relatable voices in R&B. He did so while racking up several Top Ten R&B albums and a handful of
Grammy nominations.

The Charlotte, North Carolina native got his start at age ten in his church's choir. As a teenager, he transitioned
into performing solo at various nightclubs and talent shows. In 1993, while in his early twenties, he moved to New
York City, where he signed with André Harrell's Uptown Records, a major source of the new jack swing sound and home
to artists such as Jodeci and Mary J. Blige. By 1995, Uptown was set to push Hamilton's debut album, but the
company went out of business, leaving the album unreleased.

Hamilton moved to MCA and was finally able to release that debut album, XTC, in 1996. Only one song, "Nobody Else,"
was released as a single; the song peaked at number 63 on Billboard's R&B chart, and the disc quickly disappeared
from view. Another transitional period followed. Hamilton joined Soulife, an upstart venture run by some of his old
Charlotte friends. While there, he laid down tracks for another solo album and wrote songs for Donell Jones and
Sunshine Anderson. In 2000, he accepted an invitation to sing backup vocals on D'Angelo's Voodoo tour and traveled
the world. Upon returning home, Hamilton discovered that Soulife had also gone belly up.

With a second album unreleased, Hamilton spent the next two years selling songs and singing backup for artists
including 2Pac and Eve. Then, in 2002 a lead spot singing on the Nappy Roots track "Po' Folks" garnered Hamilton
some much-needed attention, as the song was nominated for the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 2003 Grammy
Awards. A subsequent gig performing at a Grammy luncheon led to a meeting with producer Jermaine Dupri, who signed
the singer to his So So Def label. Technically his fourth album, Comin' from Where I'm From bowed for So So Def in
2003 and featured "Charlene," a classic-sounding Southern soul ballad that reached number three on the R&B chart.
In 2005, some of his Soulife recordings were dusted off and polished up for release as Soulife, and the new album
Ain't Nobody Worryin' followed later in the year. It was Hamilton's third consecutive Top Ten R&B album. Southern
Comfort, released in 2007, was another set of previously unreleased recordings.

The Point of It All, a proper studio release, was issued near the close of 2008. It was overshadowed by Hamilton's
contribution to Al Green's "You've Got the Love I Need," which won a 2009 Grammy for Best Traditional R&B Vocal
Performance -- that is, until the following Grammy ceremony, when the set received a nomination for Best
Traditional R&B Album, with two of its songs also nominated in separate categories. Back to Love followed in 2011.

Album Review

Some of the interviews and press released in support of Anthony Hamilton's first RCA album (and sixth overall) were
slightly misleading. Some readers might have been led to believe that Back to Love would offer a significant break
from Hamilton’s past work; the singer noted that he did not want to be pigeonholed as “the sad cat,” that he was
“ready to have some fun.” Hamilton even talked about “taking things to the next level.” Hamilton’s previous
release, 2008’s The Point of It All, was as creative as any of his albums that came before it, and it had the
higher first-week sales of than any of his other albums -- remarkable feats for a veteran, Grammy-winning artist.
Regardless, Back to Love is clearly viewed as a fresh start, even though it offers no more surprises than Ain’t
Nobody Worryin’ or The Point of It All. The lineup of collaborators is no shock, either, though longtime associate
Mark Batson was not involved, and Babyface assists on three songs. Familiar names, including Salaam Remi, Kelvin
Wooten, and Mike City, are more numerous than new ones. That Back to Love is not a major shake-up is not a bad
thing. Most of the songs are instantly ingratiating in some way, with none of the lighter, upbeat numbers --
including the strutting, midtempo Southern soul of “Woo” and the thematically “Cool”-like blue-collar love song
“Best of Me” -- the least bit out of character. There are some “sad cat” moments that come very close to the
standard Hamilton set with the instant classic “Charlene,” led by the hushed “Life Has a Way” (produced and co-
written by James Poyser), where the singer shuffles easily, if wearily, into that Bill Withers level of chilling
relatability: “And my children still look up to me while their stomachs on empty/Oh, I need an angel to fall on me
now.” The way the song weaves Hamilton’s raw, broken-spirited croon and spectral, multi-tracked melody is kind of

Track Listing

1. Back to Love
2. Writing on the Wall
3. Woo
4. Pray for Me
5. Best of Me
6. Never Let Go Feat. Keri Hilson
7. Mad
8. I'll Wait (To Fall in Love)
9. Sucka for You
10. Baby Girl
11. Who's Loving You