Thread: What are your 5 most influential Artists?

Default What are your 5 most influential Artists?

Okay so I have a list of 5 artists who have completely changed my life through their music...and in my opinion are the best of the best.

5. Janis Joplin- her music style was amazing, and her voice was soul wrenching.

4. Kurt Cobain- he had to be on this list, his work with Nirvana changed the music scene forever. Had he not have died, Nirvana may not have been as big as they are now. And the guitar riff for "Smells like Teen Spirit" is one of the greatest.

3. Jim Morrison- he was incredible...thats all that needs to be said.

2. Joey Ramone- The amazing band...and Joey has such a good heart how could he not be on this list.

1. Bob Marley- one of the greatest artists of all time, he had the ability to change the world and i truly believe that. Redemption Song is the greatest song ever written in my opinion.

From Cape Town, South Africa

Pink Floyd

Jean Michel Jarre

Mike Oldfield

Alberta, Canada

Frank Zappa
    Black Sabbath
    David Bowie
    Miles Davis
    Danny Elfman

Manchester, UK

these have had the biggest influence on my life:

Iron Maiden

The Cure

Pink Floyd

The Prodigy

Depeche Mode

ELVIS PRESLEY....he was my first real introduction to music

PAUL WELLER...discovering his music with The Jam helped me discover, 1960s UK rock, soul and funk

NEIL artist does not have to be restricted to one single style of music to succeed

JOHN CASH...renewed my faith in compassion,humanity and religion through the way he writes and sings

BRIT POP....gave me renewed interest in music after several bad years for music between 87-94.

mikael blotin
    eddie veddder

Dartmouth, Canada

1. The Beatles ...what can I say !! The first group I saw on TV and did they last ? I could go on for hours !!!!!
    2. David Bowie - the Ziggy Stardust album reigns supreme,excellent from start to finish, innovative talented artist
    3. Charlie Parker - first jazz album for me ...unbelievable improvisation and lightening speed technique
    4. Jan Garbarek - first introduction to contemporary jazz..very eclectic sax player !
    5. Pink Floyd - opened up an entire world of music-experimental,ambient,space rock,mediatative,avant garde, etc.!!!!!

External Communications TraceNspace's Avatar
    Florida, United States

Bob Dylan - I had heard his songs but I really discovered him in my twenties and I couldn't live without him now.

Janis Joplin - amazed by her, found her in my mid teens and sang my heart out with her alone in my room. What I wouldn't give to have seen her live. So much emotion in her voice.

The Ramones - Enjoyed the Ramones a little when someone gave me a bunch of cassettes but was truly in awe of them and the whole punk scene after I saw them play in my late teens. So much energy, it was fantastic. Life-changing for sure.

Tori Amos - I have to add her to my list because I really fell in love with her for the first few albums. I enjoy her piano so much, her unconventional lyrics, she has a very interesting style and singing voice. Plus I love to sing and she has given me endless material.

R.E.M. - I wasn't really sure who to stick in this spot but looking back it seems like they were always there. I've always loved them.

Ask me this question again in 6 months and I'm sure the list will have changed.

South Netherlands

Bob Dylan…………This is the link from the thoughts and feelings of the Negro slaves and their work gangs through the development of the lands of America, through the squeals of the depression and on to the days of repression, prohibition and inequality, through the days of protests and changes and on to the poetic comment and dreamweaving of today.................

John Paul George and Ringo..............who took the strength of Buddy Holly and the early rockers, the spirits and feelings of working class Northern England and turned them into an expression of love and in the process rewrote the entire manual of how popular music should be played and written.

Marc Bolan .......Who showed that a dyslexic boy from London could write and perform poetic sounds without having to have the literary background hat some people think is a necessity.

Nick Drake A Beautiful soul trapped in a dark world , who illuminated his plight with the rainbow pallet of his words , his music and his thoughts.

Chris Simpson A man whose lyrics and beautiful guitar-man-ship projected the simple beauty of nature and her masterwork :the lives and scenery of the Yorkshire dales...........
    Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
    Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
    It's the strangest elation
    I can't describe it
    Oh it leaves a man weary
    It makes a man frown.
    .............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )