Thread: Classical music in film scores

Default Classical music in film scores

First of all, I'd like to learn about films with solely classical soundtrack. Or, OK, about those, where it is used more often than once on occasion. And if someone remembers great scenes/episodes featuring classical music, I would appreciate it too.

I'd like to break the ice here, but nothing decent comes to my mind outright.

A clever moment that comes to mind is John Woo's Face Off: John Travolta (the good guy) and Nicholas Cage (the bad guy) have exchanged faces (?!) and there's a scene where "John Travolta" (i.e. really the bad guy but with the good guy's face) is seducing the real good guy's wife, who doesn't know it's really the bad guy and not her husband. The music for the scene is Chopin's Raindrop Prelude, which is in ABA form where the A section is in D-flat major while the B section is in C-sharp minor. D-flat and C-sharp are of course the same note, so the piece's outer sections are in the major key while it has an inner section in the minor version of the same key--just as the bad guy is lurking behind, and has the same face as, the good guy's exterior.

United Kingdom

^ Clever.

I wonder how many people would have noticed that ??
    "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Keeping with classical pieces that fit the theme of the movie: at the end of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo+Juliet, the music right after Juliet shoots herself is Isolde's final aria (the so-called "Liebestod") from Wagner's Tristan und Isolde. In the opera, Isolde sings it as she dies before Tristan's dead body in order to be united with him in death, which is what Juliet is also doing.

It comes at the very end of this clip:

Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No 7 A-Dur, op. 92 in one of the final scene „The King's Speech” with Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter – awesome moment... But in that movie we can also find masterpieces of classic music composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or Johannes Brahms.