Thread: Tedeschi Trucks Band "revelator"

Default Tedeschi Trucks Band "revelator"

TRESCHI TRUCKS BAND "revelator" 2011

review from

This is the recording debut of the new, 11-piece band formed by slide guitarist Derek Trucks and blues singer Susan Tedeschi, who are also husband and wife. Both musicians have been fronting their own bands for over a decade and Trucks is also a member of The Allman Brothers Band, playing with his uncle, drummer Butch Trucks.
    The band features a 3-piece horn section along with 3 backing vocalists and the photo of all 11 musicians lined up in the photo on the cover can seem a bit intimidating. So you may think of a new, big, soul-rock groups like Delaney & Bonnie and Friends and Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen, and expect "Revelator" to be a big, brassy, soul-shaking rave-up.
    But that's not what we have here. The sound is much more restrained with the emphasis on songwriting and singer rather than jamming and shouting.
    The album opens with "Come See About Me" (not The Supremes hit) and its mid-tempo funky, southern-fried groove sets the tone for what's to come.
    Tedeschi's vocal style is similar to Bonnie Raitt's, but a touch grittier and Trucks' guitar-playing is straight out of the Duane Allman school of slide.
    The horns section sounds a bit buried in the mix on the first two tracks but they get to shine later in the piece.
    The album really kicks into gear with track three. "Midnight In Harlem" is a mellow, bluesy ballad, driven by Kofi Burbridge's beautiful Hammond B-3. Trucks' slide guitar joins in and Tedeschi lays down one of her finest vocal performances, restrained and emotive. This sounds like it could be the companion piece to Tony Joe White's "Rainy Night In Georgia".
    "Bound For Glory" follows (again, not the Neil Young tune, they're all originals here), with a punchy horn chart, funky bass line and a great chorus.
    It's followed by a number co-written with The Jayhawks' Gary Louris, a reflective country-soul number called "Simple Things".
    Then comes "Until You Remember". Co-written with John Leventhal, it starts out with a New Orleans-style horn part before slipping in to a soulful ballad that recalls Otis Redding classics like "Try A Little Tenderness" and "These Arms Of Mine".
    Trucks adds the icing to the cake with another stunning slide guitar solo.
    Not all the tracks are successful. "Ball & Chain", with Oliver Wood, sounds a bit undercooked and there seems to be an over-abundance of mid-tempo tracks.
    There are a few production flourishes that keep things interesting, particularly the use of table and sarode on "These Walls".
    The band starts to pick up steam with the riff-heavy "Learn How To Love" and really gets cookin' on "Love Has Something To Say", which gives the horn section some room to show off.
    Things wrap up with the much quieter "Shelter" where Derek Trucks gets the opportunity to let loose with one last slide solo. M. Duda.

i got this one from 'my man Corey" today...lovely album on first listen

rating: 1.9

Track Listings

1. Come See About Me

2. Don't Let Me Slide

3. Midnight In Harlem

4. Bound For Glory video rating: 2.0

5. Simple Things 6. Until You Remember

7. Ball And Chain

8. These Walls

9. Learn How To Love live rating: 2.0

10. Shrimp and Grits (Interlude)

11. Love Has Something Else To Say

12. Shelter

sorry about the duplicate post, i forgot MH did this the other week, seems we have a difference of opinion on this one, he doesnt like it, i do???
    Last edited by CRAZY-HORSE; 11-06-2011 at 09:03.

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

didn't really hate it
    just seemed to be too much sameness
    and I'm not a big Bonnie Raitt fan which is who who it reminded me of
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers