Thread: Best City to Start a Band.

Default Best City to Start a Band.

Hey guys, I'm Malcolm, and I play guitar and other stuff. I'm currently waiting to whether or not i've been accepted to The Berklee College of Music. If i get in, I'm going there. BUT, if I don't, I want to put a band together, move somewhere, and really give the business a serious try. The question on my mind though, is where? What city has the most small venues, cheap housing, and has the best live music scene in general? The band would be kind of an experimental folk band (as stupid as that sounds), so on the chiller side of things. Because of this i was thinking Seattle or Portland. Any suggestions are welcome, as well as any advice/anything. Thank you!

welcome to MD Malcolm, sorry cant help with your question

United Kingdom

Nor me. Coming from Europe is a disadvantage here...
    "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Session Musician
    Baltimore, Maryland

I know someone in Seattle who says it's a great place for bands. Orlando, Florida is a good place to start a band too. Many famous bands have actually started there, although I can't think of any at the moment. Baltimore has some pretty great places too, but probably not more for your style of music. In Baltimore, you have Ramshead, the otto bar, Side bar, the quarter, The Black Hole, and I can't think of anymore at the moment. The side bar and black hole though are more for Metal bands. The Otto Bar plays almost every kind of music though and big bands have played there. Other than these places, I'm not really sure. They're not totally major venues, but they would probably get your name out there a bit. I would also suggest that if and/or when you create your band, make friends with other local bands wherever you are because it will definitely help you out.

Florida would be cool. Moving there all the way from San Francisco would be quite the task though. The more research I do, the more the Northwest sounds like the right place. Thanks you guys.