some good stuff here, with the Modest Mouse coming through on the slower tracks.
the frantic ones were a downer for me.
almost love Shake Me Down

Grade - 1.7

released January 11th, 2011

from the album - Shake Me Down - grade 2.5

from all music

Although chart success in England was an unlikely first step to fame for a band from Bowling Green, KY, mainstream rock band Cage the Elephant achieved just that. Formed by Matt Shultz, Brad Shultz, Jared Champion, Lincoln Parish, and Daniel Tichenor, the group earned a contract with the Relentless label and released the "Free Love" single late in 2007. A support slot for the Pigeon Detectives beckoned in early 2008, and follow-up single "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" reached the Top 40 in June. The group's self-titled debut followed soon after, becoming a respectable commercial and critical success. Two years later they returned with the single “Shake Me Down,” while early 2011 saw the release of their second album, Thank You Happy Birthday.

Album Review

A time warp mash of the Pixies, Oasis, the Arctic Monkeys, and Kasabian that hails from, of all places, Bowling Green, KY, Cage the Elephant are out of step, out of style, and out of place on their second effort, like alt-rock kids trapped in an indie rock world. Thank You Happy Birthday bangs hard on the guitars and swaggers like the Shins never happened, but once hot, fast tracks like “2024” and “Right Before My Eyes” sink their hooks into the listener, it doesn’t matter much that the band is an odd patchwork quilt of alt-rock nostalgia. If this was some supergroup that splintered off the Smashing Pumpkins it would make perfect sense, but these memorable songs are delivered with the same energetic push the band displayed on its self-titled debut, so the strong sense of purpose is intact. Big, winding numbers like “Aberdeen” and “Indy Kidz” display growth and the electronica touches found throughout the effort are welcome acknowledgments that this is a post-Radiohead world. While the grand and sometimes snotty lyrics might not be to all tastes, anyone who misses the days when rock radio loved Nirvana and Blur will find his retro rave-up easy to embrace.

Track Listing

1 Always Something Cage the Elephant 3:41
2 Aberdeen Cage the Elephant 3:12
3 Indy Kidz Cage the Elephant 5:02
4 Shake Me Down Cage the Elephant 3:31
5 2024 Cage the Elephant 3:10
6 Sell Yourself Cage the Elephant 2:11
7 Rubber Ball Cage the Elephant 3:47
8 Right Before My Eyes Cage the Elephant 3:14
9 Around My Head Cage the Elephant 3:11
10 Sabertooth Tiger Cage the Elephant 2:51
11 Japanese Buffalo Cage the Elephant 3:03