Thread: Porcupine Tree

Default Porcupine Tree

I love this band. They've got the relaxing, atmospheric traits of Pink Floyd blended in perfectly with the prog of Dream Theater and the heaviness of Opeth. I've yet to hear a Porcupine Tree song that I can say I dislike.

Standout songs: Shesmovedon, Shallow, The Sound of Muzak

London, Ontario

Porcupine Tree is an amazing band. Steven Wilson is a genius. I've been listening to them since I discovered them about 3 years ago. I wasn't as impressed with "The Incident" as I have been with their other previous albums such as "Deadwing" "Fear of a Blank Planet" and "Up the Downstair" Wasn't too taken with Steven Wilson's solo work, either.

My favourite songs: "Collapse the Light Into Earth" "Sleep Together" & "Lazarus"

United Kingdom

Every time someone mentions PT, I respond with Blackfield. Steven Wilson has made a couple of albums with an Israeli musician under the Blackfield name, and they're both worth checking out.
    "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Stirling, Scotland

Personally, I find their other band No-Man a hell of a lot more interesting but when it comes to Porcupine Tree the best material I've heard from them is an EP from 2008 called 'Nil Recurring' on which Robert Fripp guests. Check it out
    "Blogging like Jesus, tweet like a Pope
    Site traffic heavy, I'm YouTubing hope" - Wire- 'Blogging' 2015

"But me and you were not to blame
    Love always returns from where it came
    Back to black and in the end,
    It's all the same."- Terry Allen 'Back to Black' 1996

From Cape Town, South Africa

I do think they have some original stuff but I wish that twerp lead singer would stop waving his head around like a demented psychotic. Is he dusting off the microphone? He should instead concentrate on improving his guitar playing which is pretty mediocre.

Alberta, Canada

I have enjoyed Steven Wilson's projects under each of those monikers. He has a refreshing take on music and I love that I am not always sure what is coming next. Yesterday was the release of Blackfield's third studio album - "Welcome to my DNA" - I can hardly wait to have it in my hands too.

The latest project announcement from SW is his collaboration with Mikael Akerfeldt (of Opeth). They have announced it will be called Storm Corrosion. This album will need at least one week's listening for me to absorb.

Songs I'm enjoying a lot this week:
    PT - Anesthetize / The Sound of Muzak / Time Flies / Don't Hate Me
    No-Man - Lovecry / Back When You Were Beautiful / & Their cover of Nick Drake's Pink Moon
    Blackfield - Blackfield / Cloudy Now / The Hole in Me
    Steven Wilson - Insurgentes / & his acoustic cover of Alanis's Thank U