Thread: Greetings from the Lowlands

Enschede, Holland

Default Greetings from the Lowlands

My name is Wilfried from Holland. I have been looking for a interesting and passionate community to express my love for music. I have seriously started to listen to music about 20 years ago during what was a difficult time for me personally. My taste has changed considerably over the years. For instance, music I listened to 10-15 years ago now makes my skin crawl.

Getting to know the music of No-Man had big the biggest impact on my musical taste, since they include elements of Sylvian, Talk Talk, Nick Drake, Red House Painters, Roxy Music etc in their sound. What makes No-Man so unique for me is that they are difficult to categorize.

Over the years, I have developed the odd knack of starting to listen to music of people and groups which have a) disbanded (Talk Talk for instance) or b) died (like Nick Drake, Tim Buckley). However, and luckily, a lot of music I have learned to love and appreciate is still being made.

I hope meeting people on this forum will enable me to broaden my music horizons. I am looking forward to meeting you all !

South Netherlands

Default A Second Member From The Lowlands

A warm welcome to MD!

You will be our second member from the Netherlands as I too come from there. However, I'm from right at the bottom near Maastricht.

This is the correct forum for you, we are all passionate about music here and love to be involved in musical discussions
    Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
    Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
    It's the strangest elation
    I can't describe it
    Oh it leaves a man weary
    It makes a man frown.
    .............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )

United Kingdom

Hi Wilfried, & welcome to MD.

It's good to see the orange contingent on the forum double...

I guess there are plenty of deceased musicians out there to listen to, as well as lots of disbanded.

Hope you enjoy the site.

welcome Wilfried, another member from the land of poppyfields and windmills, or should i say 'snow and ice'.

keep warm with us at MD this winter...unless the cold freezes the lcd crystals on your screen

Stirling, Scotland

Hi Wilfried, good to have another Dutch member on the site Great taste in music you got there by the way!
    I like yourself, only discovered No-Man a few years ago and they are amazing. So unique as well. Check out Steven Wilson's other band Porcupine Tree, they too are pretty difficult to categorise.
    "Blogging like Jesus, tweet like a Pope
    Site traffic heavy, I'm YouTubing hope" - Wire- 'Blogging' 2015

"But me and you were not to blame
    Love always returns from where it came
    Back to black and in the end,
    It's all the same."- Terry Allen 'Back to Black' 1996

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

welcome to our home
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers

From Cape Town, South Africa

Lowlands but HighLife - Holland is a great place. Welcome.