Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

Default Deadmau5 - 4X4=12

not my thing, but it may be yours
    hey, I try, can you say the same

Grade - 1.1

released Dec 7th, 2010

from the album - Some Chords - grade 1.0

from all music

Born Joel Zimmerman on January 5, 1981, Deadmau5 rose to prominence when his track "Faxing Berlin" found its way onto the playlist of legendary DJ/producer Pete Tong's radio show. Deadmau5 soon became an important figure in the world of progressive house music, with his songs appearing on more than 15 compilation releases (including In Search of Sunrise, Vol. 6: Ibiza). A native of Toronto, Canada, he released his work through his own label, Mau5trap Recordings, and scored a number of awards in 2008, including the Juno Award for "Dance Recording of the Year." He released Random Album Title that same year along with the first volume of the remix-collecting At Play series. The year 2009 saw the release of the singles collection It Sounds Like along with the mix album For Lack of a Better Name.

Album Review

With the illuminated big head and all, Canadian producer Joel Zimmerman’s Deadmau5 alias is a blast to see live, but you can also bring quite a bit of that tech-house-meets-slammin’-electro excitement home with 4 x 4 = 12. As bad as the masked one is at math, he's conversely just as good at making you dance, as this unmixed but almost non-stop set of big room tunes throbs and snaps with that Daft Punk sense of style. Rabid fans should be warned, though, that they’ve already heard the big highlights, as tracks like “Some Chords,” “Sofi Needs a Ladder,” the wicked “Animal Rights,” and others had been previously released on 12”s, but the remaining cuts are hardly filler. Unheard numbers such as the creepy “Cthulhu Sleeps” and the Wendy Carlos-like “Right This Second” help to turn a club-oriented set of tunes into a well-rounded album, and when the one-two punch of “Raise Your Weapon” and “One Trick Pony” introduce the Mau5’s newfound love of dubstep, you’ve got just enough variety. Miss Sofi (Sofia Toufa) and Greta Svabo Bech contribute vocals, while producers Wolfgang Gartner and Michael Woods skillfully help with the knob twiddling.

Track Listing

1 Some Chords Zimmerman 8:04
    2 Sofi Needs a Ladder Toufa, Zimmerman 5:33
    3 A City in Florida Zimmerman 5:02
    4 Bad Selection Deitz, Zimmerman 5:01
    5 Animal Rights Youngman, Zimmerman 4:59
    6 I Said [Michael Woods Remix] Lake, Zimmerman 5:52
    7 Cthulhu Sleeps Zimmerman 9:59
    8 Right This Second Zimmerman 7:23
    9 Raise Your Weapon Moore, Sheffield, Zimmerman 8:15
    10 One Trick Pony Toufa, Zimmerman 3:36
    11 Everything Before Zimmerman 6:05
    “A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.”
    Will Rogers

I just picked up this album and really like it. My favorite track was "Animal Rights." There's a good review of it here: Hope to see him live someday!