Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

Default My Jerusalem - Gone For Good

some good stuff here
    the clip, I vaguely recall some music in there

Grade - 1.8

released Oct 26th, 2010

from the album - Sweet Chariot - grade 2.0

from all music

Based in New Orleans, My Jerusalem are a collective of seasoned indie rock veterans who formed in late 2008. The lineup includes Jeff Klein and Dave Rosser of the Twilight Singers, Rick Nelson of Polyphonic Spree, Ashley Dzerigian of Great Northern, and Cully Symington of Bishop Allen. The common link between them is Klein, who collaborated and performed with each individual during a solo tour in 2008. The band's first EP, Without Feathers, was released in conjunction with its first concert appearance at a SXSW showcase in March of 2009. In 2010, My Jerusalem released Gone for Good, their debut full-length on One Little Indian.

Album Review from musicomh

New Orleans debutants My Jerusalem are a band with no small amount of experience between them. Jeff Klein and Dave Rosser ran with The Twilight Singers, while Rick Nelson, Ashley Dzerigian and Cully Symington were members of Polyphonic Spree, Great Northern, and Bishop Allen respectfully.

And it would appear that such simultaneous freshness and familiarity has enabled My Jerusalem to craft an endeavour as vital as Gone For Good as their first full-length imprint: they're a school of veterans revelling in one another's new-found company, and this album is the tantalising result.

Indeed, it is something of a familiar opening gambit: Valley Of Casualties trundles gently alongside reverberating pickery before blossoming into an assertive chorus, and from the opening languid brass notes onward, it's very much in the Polyphonic Spree mould. So far, so nice.

It is Sweet Chariot, though, that has made My Jerusalem such an enticing proposition from their very earliest days. Sounding not unlike Bellowhead with a new-found taste for punk, it's a track whose unassumingness says little of the snarling anger ahead; and Jeff Klein's venomous cries - "What you waiting for?" - are perfectly measured, and not merely shrieks for their own sake. Sweet Chariot is the spine-tingling, head-turning foundation on which the album is built.

Of course, the fact that such outbursts are few and far between lends them extra weight, and for the most part Gone For Good is a tad more refined. Remember Everything's moonshine anthem evokes peaceful imagery, and the title track is molasses-paced, full to the brim with melodic regret.

There's also Sleepwalking. Sat slap-bang in the middle of the running order, it offers genuine variety with its inch-perfect take on thudding bohemia. Its soaring choral passages and Klein's two-tone, yelped and distorted vocals, in fact, channel Hawksley Workman's most electrifying efforts and capture his elusive, ragged brand of beauty.

As such agreeable tones settle into the listener's brain, another roaring indictment pricks the ears. Bury It Low sees Klein again straining himself for his art, and could be - for its astute construction, grimacing overdrives and signature chorus - the anthem that launches My Jerusalem into the wider consciousness. It is, indeed, already gaining a foothold on the airwaves.

Certainly, though, when such comparative departures from an album's mode are so attention-grabbing in their effectiveness, concerns arise about the rest of the material on offer. Is it just chaff compared to such wheat?

In My Jerusalem's case, such worries are soon put to bed. Tracks like Shake The Devil bridge the gap between light and shade, and slow burners like Proposition are afforded the type of care and attention that allows them passage into the ether, fuelled by perceptive songwriting and a less-is-more approach to the soundscape.

Take lead single Love When You Leave. A tender anti-ballad on which Dzerigian lends her striking tones. Its timeless sentiments amount to little more than two minutes, but that is time enough, with such a deft touch, to say what is to be said and imply a great deal more. This is the case with Gone For Good as a whole, a sensational, Seldom Seen Kid-type opus that could be the making of My Jerusalem.

Track Listing

1 Valley Of Casualties
    2 Sweet Chariot
    3 Remember Everything
    4 Sleepwalking
    5 Gone For Good
    6 Bury It Low
    7 Poison The Truth
    8 Shake The Devil
    9 Proposition
    10 Hit The Lights
    11 Love You When You Leave
    12 Farewell
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers

watched the clip you offered from this one,had to watch it twice,i was somewhat distracted first time round...then i watched Elvis' 'swing down sweet chariot',just adore this song,Elvis at his best